Author Topic: Instructions for Attaching File/s to Ur Posting or Reply..  (Read 6982 times)

SEEKER

Instructions for Attaching File/s to Ur Posting or Reply..
« on: July 07, 2006, 02:59:23 PM »
Howdy do,                                                                                      step-by-step

Had a request on How to attach a file....

There is probably a more detailed Description on the Site, but here goes...

1. Create Ur new posting or reply....

2. Do Ur spell check...

3. Do Your preview.....

This is important now, FOR the attachment is removed by the PREVIEW function..

4. When completed with 1 thru 3....

5.Click on Additional Options...    at bottom of the Posting editor...

6. Click on the Browse Button on Right of Attach Window...

Select the file U want Attached...

Note:  MP3'S and other file types are limited to 4.5 Meg
             Several file types cannot be attached.... 
             The Size of some files would Overload PSRTUTORIAL site...
             Also some file types could contain VIRUSES or SPYWARE... or whatever...
             Always Virus scan anything U download prior to using....

7. Once this is completed U have Ur File attached...

8. IF you want to attach up to 4 files.... CLICK on more attachments

Now Click on the Post button....
I usually then read the Post to check that the attachment/s are there...
If you doubt ur work, download the attachment Urself as a quick test...

This is Seekers intruction.... Like mentioned above there is probably better set on this site....

NOW LETS HERE SOME NEW music from U folks,

Seeker
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 11:31:40 AM by Seeker »

JerryE

Re: Instructions for Attaching File/s to Ur Posting or Reply..
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 04:51:34 PM »
Hi Seeker,

Thanks again for the help. There's still something missing. I was told by another member that only midi files are acceptable for uploading. I can quick-record on the 3k; I can record to Audacity which makes MP3 files. If I save Audacity raw files only it can open them. So the question is how do I get midi files into the computer from the keyboard. Audacity doesn't convert to midi. I'm puzzled  :?.

JerryE

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 05:19:10 PM »
Just go to http://psrtutorial.com/L/REC/MakeCD.html and follow the directions--it's easy!

Gary  8-)
Love Those Yammies...

SEEKER

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 07:36:36 PM »
Jerry,

Under Audacity you can do a  FILE >EXPORT wav.............

Dont know Ur keyboard....  On 3k U can save MIDI record to the USB stick...
U can use the YAMAHA DOWNLOADER software to "grab" the MIDI file from the 3k.
Or U can powerdown Ur 3k unplug USB stick plug it into Ur pc and grab the file....

On the older boards with floppys, save Ur midi to the floppy then load that into the PC...

On the posting information this link will tell U most of what U need...
Much more comprehensive than my explanation...

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/Themes/default/help/posting.english.html

In regards to what someone told U.... this is whats right beneath the Attachment "Title" window...

Allowed file types: txt, doc, pdf, jpg, jpeg, gif, mpg, png, sty, mid, zip
Maximum attachment size allowed: 400 KB, per post: 4

Hope this resolves some of Ur questions...

Also Gary is Dead on with the recording Link.... Excellent Lesson...

Seeker

Offline Craig Schiller

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 04:31:53 AM »
A Quick Record IS a midi file.

Craig

Hi Seeker,

Thanks again for the help. There's still something missing. I was told by another member that only midi files are acceptable for uploading. I can quick-record on the 3k; I can record to Audacity which makes MP3 files. If I save Audacity raw files only it can open them. So the question is how do I get midi files into the computer from the keyboard. Audacity doesn't convert to midi. I'm puzzled  :?.

JerryE

JerryE

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 09:18:03 AM »
Hi Gary,

I'm very familiar with the "record" page in the tutorial. Just yesterday I downloaded GOLD WAVE to try it out. but for now I'll stick with Audacity. I can't see the advantage of all the bells and whistles when all I want to do is record directly to the 'puter, convert to MP3 with "Lame" and burn to CD whch I can do quite well. I just seem to be missing one little thing in the stew here and that is end up with a midi file. The way I see in now is that all I have to do is record to the quick record on the kb, save that to the thumb drive, stick that in the USB port, and I assume that will be midi. I guess I should have tried it before I wrote this. Anyway, I'll try now. If it doesn't work at least i'll know more about what to ask.

Thanks

JerryE

JerryE

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 10:34:05 AM »
Hi Seeker,

Well here goes. I quick recorded on the kb, saved it to the thumb drive, uploaded to C drive and there it was, a midi file only 70kb is size. I will attach it to this reply and if it works then I've just crossed another hurdle. There s just one caveat though, I listened to the recording thru Windown Media Player and it sounded awful campared to the output of the kb. I guess something gets lost in the conversion to midi ? This is just the chorous of a piece, "One Moment In Time". I wanted to keep it short as a trial.

JerryE

[attachment deleted by admin]

SEEKER

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 10:47:42 AM »
Jerry,

You must have the Audio Tab Under Sounds and Devices Properties set to
the MIDI out U want to Use....

Otherwise it probably defaulted to Ur pc's soundcard.... The XG voices
don't necessarily sound good there....

You must have some Kind of Midi hookup to Your yamaha keyboard...
USB cable, or Midi cables....

Jerry, Also Heed Gary's Advice on the YAMAHA to PC recording....
You will get all of the Quality of the Yamaha sound and end up with a Wave file,
which is easily convertable as U mentioned..

Am listening to Ur song, Awfully romantic for this early in morning, but beautiful...

"Confucius Say" " Man Can Eat Whole Mountain, SpoonFull at a Time"

Glad to help...
Seeker

JerryE

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 11:40:06 AM »
Hi Seeker,

I just got another spoonful. Took your advice, went into audio porperties and changed audio output to Soundmax WMD Midi 2. BIG difference. Thanks.

JerryE

JerryE

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 12:29:10 PM »
Hi Seeker,

Tried again with new setup. Hope this sounds better. It is a bit livlier.

JerryE

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 12:32:13 PM »
Hi Seeker,

Whoops, sent message without attachment. I hit the post too soon. Try again.

SEEKER

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 02:55:38 PM »
Jerry,

Very nice on the Song, U have a nice style, Like the violin/fiddle in the
song....

Noted something on Ur other post regarding "Custom" voices U created...
If may be obvious and NOT.....

The only way We could hear them, for songs using them, is to be recorded in the WAV/WMA/MP3.
I say this, but Midi does carry a lot of DSP/FX goodies on its creation :-o :? :-o

We have to listen to UR songs, on our PLAIN OLD DOWDY 3K's.... isnt that sad....ROFLMAO....

Glad to see "hear" your in business with the next "spoonful" of Your enjoyment...

Now all I gottat do is get back on SVPWORLD and grab those Multi-pads Gary had mentioned...

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.,

Seeker

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 05:19:52 PM »
JerryE,

You can include your custom voices with your posting of the MIDI and then we could enjoy them just as you hear them.

Bill
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

JerryE

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 06:35:23 PM »
Hi Bill,

I'm sorry to say that they were my custom voices but the reproduction thru the midi seemed to take something away from them. Actually those pieces weren't a good use of them. I tinkered with the pieces and found that the best way to hear exactly what I played is to save the files to the "C" drive, transfer them to a thumb drive and play them thru the kb; a 3k or Tyros. In other words, they went full circle and I downloaded them and played them back thru my 3k and they were identical. There must be some way my sound card is handling the files that makes the difference. I have an Audigy 4 sound card hooked up to a Z5500 sound system. Per Seeker's advice I set the audio playback to Midi, which improved the sound  somewhat. I'll keep working on it.

Thanks for reply,

JerryE

P.S. At least with all this practice I can type better.

SEEKER

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 07:11:50 PM »
Jerry,

When I suggested Midi:

The MIDI out that would Drive UR keyboard from the PC...

The Audigy also allows MIDI to its Internal Sound Generator...

If you are Going MIDI OUT "THRU" the AUDIGY midi port to UR keyboard... Then Cool...

I am currently Using a USB PC to PSR-3000 HOST port connection with the Yamaha drivers installed.
For Midi Playing great.... The Yamaha Downloader Sucks.....

I have the Audigy 2 ZS... 2years old now... love the card, great sounds...... UNTIL 3K STRUCK....

You folks on the Forum Totally ruined me, and pulled me down into the Yammie Hotplace....

Enjoy,

Seeker

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 08:59:54 PM »
JerryE,

YES - the only way your 3k can use your custom voices is with the song loaded into the keyboard
and played by the keyboard - AND the custom voices must be stored on the keyboard along with the song.

When you play the song on your PC it will either use your sound card and the sound cards voices or output to your 3k, depending on
the settings on your sequencer. But, the PC sequencer knows nothing of your custom voices and will not use them.
The Tyros and Tyros2 have internal Custom Voice places that act the same as the regular voices and can be accessed
using MIDI code, but the custom voices must be sent along with the MIDI song in order to use the song and have it
sound as desired on someone else's Tyros.

Keep working with the 3k and it will all seem very natural after a while. :-D

Bill
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 09:02:51 PM by Bill Grosse »

JerryE

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006, 08:09:47 AM »
Seeker,

I got those styles you mentioned on Thurs. I snagged 2 of them rigfht off into my user area, Slo Wtz and Wtz PG. They are a very nice addition. Do you know what all the other letters and numbers mean in the descriptions? (8beat soft NPoh). 8beat is obvious but do you know what the rest means? I had Greek in high school but that was too long ago.

JerryE

SEEKER

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 10:39:59 AM »
Jerry,

It is the Multi-Pad Designers Discretion on how they are name...
Leo Dunne followed this some of this....

G=Guitar
P=Piano.
o=organ ?
h=harp ?

Get the Idea... after u play with a few U'll pickup on it...

Vince Lutz use's   small x to indicate its a pad that changes voicing as it progresses...

Enjoy,

Seeker

P.S. Trade Secret or how did U do the Nice fiddle Swoops in the Hey Good Lookin Song?
       Even with the Pitch bend thats quite an accomplishment..

JerryE

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 11:43:01 AM »
Seeker,

Aha! The Greek in now Latin which I studied for 2 yrs. It all makes better sense now. As to the fiddle playing, no pitch bending involved. Primarily used my thumb and little finger to make the reach. The sequence is thumb, little finge, index finger thumb and little finger x3. Had to do it about a hundred times till I got it smooth. I'm glad you liked it. I played acodian many years so I learned a few licks that way. Learned how to play fast scales with the finger crossover technique. The down side, didn't learn to play chords with buttons on left hand so I remain a 2 finger chord player. Don't plan on persuing full finger chords.

JerryE

JerryE

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 02:03:23 PM »
Hi Bill,

I just did a piece with a few enhanced voices. I hope they sound  as good there as they do here. Uploading midis is like a new toy to me. Hope you like the sax and clarinet and the big brass.

JerryE

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 05:37:55 PM »
JerryE,

For them to sound the same on my keyboard, you need to send also a copy of the
custom voices you used that were saved to your user area. My keyboard will use only
the unmodified normal voices because it will not know what changes you made to
the voices on your keyboard as those changes are not part of a MIDI song. :-o

I just finished listening to your song and I think it is just fine as is. I am listening to it
on a Tyros2 however and that may eliminate the need for your custom voices.
I did notice that your playing is only producing velocities of about 64 and that is only
half of the available amount. That may be why you needed to modify your voices
in order to obtain the punch you wanted.  :wink:

Bill
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 06:14:57 PM by Bill Grosse »

JerryE

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 08:38:03 PM »
Bill,

Since I adjusted the EQ's in sound creater I didn't  find it necessary to raise the volume past the preset of 100 under the balance control. If I wanted the instruments to stand out I lowered the style volume and then raised the overall volume. A little history. I've had this kb since Aug. 04. I played it just like I got it for a year and a half whithout touching any adjustments. Every time I needed more vol. on the voices I kept reaching for the sliders. I ran into and old friend who plays a Tyros and after hearing my story, put me in touch with Gary who put me in touch with this forum. Since I've learned so much here I have been delving into every button there is and now the kb doesn't sound anything like it did when I bought it. The guy that sold it to me knew less than I did. I never went back to him for help. I know I'm talking to people who've owned keyboards for years and have lots of experience. I played guitar most of my life and wanted an instrument that would enable me to work solo. I always wanted to play like Chet Atkins but that's another story. So now I'm faced with EQ's, Regs, miltipads, online sites with more goodies than I know what to do with.  All if this is totally new to me. And to top it off, I just got on line last March and had to learn all the ins and outs of on line computing. I'm still amazed when I get E-mail from somone. My wife's better at it than me. Even my son knows more about uploading pictures and messages than I do. The only thing I connected to this computer is my digital camera. Now you say I can upload my "user voices" seperately from any music. This I gotta find out how to do. I still can't get midi to play directly to my kb even tho it's connected to the "to host" port. I think I might wear the forum out before I get all this settled. Let' see if this is how I do it. Load the Users, press copy, press all, toggle over to usb 1 , press paste. I would then instert the stick into the comp. and attach the contents to a message. Am I close?

Thanks for any help

JerryE

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 07:47:41 AM »
JerryE,

Not to worry - you will never wear out this forum while learning all the things you can do with your keyboard.
Everyone associated with this forum has had to have help and in turn gives back to others herein.
Not knowing what your overall keyboard-to-PC setup is, let me first ask the following:

1. What kind of computer do you have.  PC or MAC
2. You mention you are using the To-Host USB connection - Do you have the Yamaha USB driver installed?
3. Do you have a software sequencing program on your computer? Cakewalk, Power Tracks or the like?

Your procedure for copying the custom voices is correct and it would be best to put them in a ZIP file if you
have the software on your computer to do that - most computers come with Winzip these days.
It is not absolutely necessary to zip these files, but you will have less troubles with file transfer over the internet.
In order to get your PC to play MIDI songs using your keyboard, you need a sequencer program for playing the
MIDI song on the computer. Michael Bedesem's MIDIPLAYER program will play them and the program is FREE.
You will find MIDIPLAYER at the following link and a host of other free programs you will eventually want.

http://www.svpworld.com/psr_software.htm

In all probability, every question you are likely to have about your keyboard has been discussed on this forum or
has been covered in one of the lessons on the main site. Don't be put off if some of the answers you get back
are just links to the information you seek - it just saves a lot of typing and repetition.  :wink:

I was a guitar player before getting my keyboard as well. Doesn't every guitar player start off wanting to play like Chester?
I was fortunate to have known him personally and he was every bit the gentleman he was said to be.
You can also contact me directly if you feel the need as my address is listed with my forum info - just click on my name
in the upper left corner of this post.

Bill

JerryE

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 10:38:49 AM »
Hi Bill,

I have a PC running Win XP. It's a pentium 4, 2.85 ghz and 512k memory. Some of the terms used throw me off a little. By sequencing you mean recording? If so I use Audacity regularly, very easy and efficient. I do have the MIDI driver installed which was on the CD that came with my kb. I did manage to get a beep thru the kb but that was it. I also found the menus under "Function" Midi, after that completely puzzled. Since it's not a big ordeal getting the midis to my keyboard thru a thumb stick, i'm happy with that arrangement. I've gone back to the performers area and listened again to many of the midis thru the kb instead of thru the comp. I stick with the ones using 3k's and here I must say I apoligize to all the performers if I criticized their sounds. It was my fault, not theirs. When I heard my own played back I was stunned and hoped nobody else would hear them sound like that. To change the subject. I'm inpressed that you knew Chester personally. I have almost all his albums and 2 videos of his performances. I owned 2 Gretch Country Gentlemen and a Gretch White Falcon. (not at the same time) Had one stolen.
I will now go back and download the midi player you mentioned from Mr. Bedesem. Winzip is here but haven't used it yet. Put all the voices into one folder but can't get folder to attach. When I click on it, the folder opens. Can't select all, don't want to send one at a time. Some other way?

JerryE

JerryE

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 12:07:38 PM »
JerryE,

Okay - thanks for the update on your equipment - makes it easier to provide help.

Audacity is strictly a "sound" recorder and does not play or record MIDI.
You have discovered as we all have your keyboard will sound best when MIDI files are loaded into the keyboard for playing. Midiplayer can play the MIDI files and will play them through your keyboard using the keyboard voices and effects and it will sound the same as loading them into the keyboard for almost all songs. When you play MIDI files on your computer without using software sequencers or Midiplayer, your PC will play the MIDI using your soundcard only and it will never sound as good as your keyboard.

You have to ZIP a folder in order to attach it, you do not have to ZIP files, but as you know, you can only attach one file at a time. However, you can ZIP several files into one file and send more at a time that way. Usually you can ZIP a file or a number of files by highlighting them and then right click the mouse and select "send to" and "Compressed zipped folder" should be the choice.

One added note about Midiplayer - it can convert MIDI files from just about any keyboard to play correctly on most Yamaha keyboards. We all treasure our good friend Michael Bedesem.

Bill