Author Topic: Sheet Music  (Read 1364 times)

Offline FredrikC

Sheet Music
« on: December 05, 2016, 05:55:58 AM »
I'm not a big fan of sharing copyrighted sheet music that's available commercially.  On the other hand, if the music is out of print, it doesn't bother me all that much.  After all, how can the publisher expect you to buy the music from them if they aren't selling it.

So, I've got some sheet music that, as far as I can tell, is not longer available commercially.  But it's not the kind of standards or currently popular music that I normally see posted.  Should I post it anyway, or would it merely be a waste of bandwidth.

The first one I'd be posting (once I finish scanning it) is music by the group Renaissance.  My daughter may sing one of their songs at her senior musical theater recital, and since the book is falling apart, it's much safer for me to just scan it than to send her the book.

Would there be an interest in this?
Fred

Yamaha: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, DX-7, SY-99 (last two in attic)
Other: Kronos2 88, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, eMu MPS (also in attic)
RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: Sheet Music
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 08:45:10 AM »
Hi Fredrik,

I'm always interested in sheet music that I haven't played before, even if I have other renditions of the songs, as many of the members are, also.  So, yes, please post your sheets for us.

I know you're a Supporter, so you might consider posting them in one of the Charter Member's boards, which is where most of the larger collections are posted.  If you will upload your sheets to one of your storage accounts, this will not use any bandwidth on our server.

On behalf of all of our members, thank you for willingness to do this.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline John Plumridge

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 11:17:28 AM »
Hello Fredrik,
                          I agree with Rogers comment.

Any postings will be gratefully received.

John
Tyros 3 & Tyros 5
My musical performances are better than they sound !

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 06:14:58 AM »
Most Music is out of copy-write after seventy years I believe.

Offline FredrikC

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 08:10:22 AM »
Most Music is out of copy-write after seventy years I believe.

Renaissance is a "rock" group.  It was big in the seventies, and is still active.  http://renaissancetouring.com/band/  I'd prefer not to wait.

Also, copyright (not copywrite) lasts the composer's life plus seventy years in the United States.  (Other countries are different.)  For sheet music of music in the public domain, while the music is not under copyright, the sheet music itself may be.  A lot of classical music sheet music was edited (adding fingerings, etc.), which means that printed version of the music is also copyrighted.

(Why copyright?  Because it deals with your rights of ownership, and how your piece can and can't be copied.  Why is "rock" in quotes?  Because Renaissance, especially when it was at it's most popular, stretched the limits of rock a great deal.)
Fred

Yamaha: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, DX-7, SY-99 (last two in attic)
Other: Kronos2 88, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, eMu MPS (also in attic)
RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments

Offline thomas750

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 11:30:11 AM »
thank you roger and eileen

thomas

;)
I Play Three Keyboards

yamaha prs 770 and korg pa 700 and technis kn 2600