Author Topic: Hello from Hurricane, Utah  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Thomas9595

Hello from Hurricane, Utah
« on: December 03, 2016, 07:03:12 AM »
Hi all:

I was doing a search for music files for my S950 when I accidentally came across the PSRTutorial website. It was exactly what I was looking for...and a whole lot more!!!

I've been dickering around with keyboards since a young lad (accordion first then pianos and organs and finally electronic keyboards) and only formally taught music in my childhood days. But I had a knack for playing by "ear" and prefer that method over reading music (which I have limited skills with).

I've owned my S950 for about 2 years and have basically been playing around with it but not really seriously into composing and arranging music. However, I work for a large nursing home (I'm a medical professional) and would love to share my keyboard skills with the elderly folks that live there. Live entertainment has been mediocre at best and I know they would certainly enjoy the wonderful sounds this keyboard is able to produce. Thus I am now seriously getting into the music so I can volunteer some personal time to entertain those in nursing homes. No pay sought, just enjoy entertaining those who appreciate it.

I've got a lot to learn, from the basics to the advanced, on how to truly utilize the Yamaha PSR-S950. I've only begun to realize the tip of the iceberg!

I've played keyboards in bands in the past and enjoy entertaining as a volunteer. Hope you guys can help me get the most out of my S950.

I am planning to purchase a pair of the Yamaha STAGEPAS 600i speakers with mixer. I was quite impressed with these speakers having heard them used with the S950 when I bought it. Any comments regarding these speakers are welcome.

Thanks for letting me join...and I apologize for the lengthy "hello".

Tom
Tom
Hurricane, Utah
Owner PSR-S950 and Ensoniq KT-76 Synth

Offline Ray Eyden

Re: Hello from Hurricane, Utah
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 07:50:28 AM »
Hello Tom

Welcome aboard! This is a great community to be with.

:)
All the Best
Ray

Derby England

Offline Thomas9595

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 09:05:18 AM »
Thanks from across the Atlantic, Ray. Like everyone else here, I have a love for music and creating it. Looking forward to being an active member of the group!

Tom 8)
From the land of canyons and deserts and dinosaurs, and where time stopped 250 million years ago.
Tom
Hurricane, Utah

Online Roger Brenizer

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 02:42:49 PM »
Hi Tom,

There's no need to apologize for your introduction, as most new members clearly don't give us enough information about themselves to let us know about their prior experience with keyboards.

You and I have similar backgrounds, both beginning at a very early age.  I'm originally an accordion player, as is Ray Eyden, who has just welcomed you also, and my musical studies eventually led me to a higher level of learning.  Your skill level here will only be strengthened by the many tutorials contained on our website and your interaction with those who will help you fill in the missing pieces.

I see you own a PSR-S950 keyboard.  I'm sure you will learn a great deal about your keyboard here on the forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.

You'll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  This link will take you to the Home page of the website: http://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

We're so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  There are many members here willing and eager to help you.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 06:02:53 PM by Roger Brenizer »
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline Thomas9595

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 08:18:32 PM »
Thanks, Roger, for the great welcome!!! Of course, I plan to become a supporting member. There is indeed a wealth of knowledge on the PSR Tutorial pages and within this forum.

I love music, especially being creative and like to compose my own music and rhythms. I HATED accordions when I was a lad as I really had my heart set on becoming a pianist. Yet, I continued playing the accordion well into my 30s and to my surprise still value the instrument. I've since owned a baby grand piano, a small full pedal 3-tier theater organ, an Ensoniq Kt-76 synthesizer, a few other minor keyboards and now the S950 which continues to blow me away with its capabilities. My next target (sometime in the future): Tyros 7. (And, I might add, I played timpani and other percussion instruments in the community college orchestra.)

Again, thanks for the warm welcome and I will be sure to take advantage of all that's available on this website and forum... and become a supporting member.

Tom
Tom
Hurricane, Utah

Online Roger Brenizer

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 08:44:49 PM »
Hi Tom,

You're welcome and it's good to have you here.

So, you're going to bypass the Tyros 6 and go straight to the Tyros 7.  You may have a long wait.   :)

It looks like we have a few things in common, as you will note in my biography on my Performer's Page, but the biggest of these is that we both love music.  I'm looking forward to interacting with you here on the forum.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline Thomas9595

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 07:52:23 AM »
Likewise here, Roger. As for the Tyros 7, it might be slightly obsolete by the time I can afford another keyboard!  :-\  So, yes, a long wait. Besides, I've barely touched on what the 950 can do so much exploring and experimenting to do yet on this keyboard before going the next generation.

I'm just grateful for this website where I can really get the learning down pat and make this keyboard do what I want it to do! Thanks so much to you and Joe White Waters for setting it up!  :D

Now, on to purchasing the USB sets and becoming a supporting member...and to increase the capabilities of my S950.

Tom
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 11:32:07 AM by Joe W »
Tom
Hurricane, Utah

Offline Thomas9595

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 08:32:12 AM »
It is done. I have made several purchases from the order page.

Tom
Tom
Hurricane, Utah

Online Roger Brenizer

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 12:17:47 PM »
Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for becoming a supporting member and helping Joe to keep this website up and running.  I had nothing to do with the creation of the PSR Tutorial website.  All the credit goes to Joe Waters, who created this great place where thousands of members have benefited from his insight.

As soon as Joe receives and processes your order, you profile will be updated with the word Supporter displayed just below your username.  You will then be given access to the Charter Member's boards, which will open another musical world for you.  Not only will you be able to download some great resources, but you should consider uploading and sharing resources with this great community of members, also.

Have a blessed day, my friend.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline Thomas9595

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 12:26:52 PM »
Thanks again, Roger. You have a wonderful day too!

P.S. I seem to have a problem with names these days. Don't know where Joe "White" came from! (Sorry, Joe!!)
Tom
Hurricane, Utah