Author Topic: Looking for sound and music files for PSR450  (Read 790 times)

Offline Douglas white

Looking for sound and music files for PSR450
« on: November 22, 2016, 08:20:41 PM »
Hi from Canada
New to this stuff
Looking for location to download voice and sound files for my system
Thanks n advance for the help
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 03:27:48 PM by Douglas white »

Offline DrakeM

Re: Looking for sound and music files for PSR450
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 08:25:17 AM »
Hi Douglas,

I have never seen any such upgrades for your keyboard. You will need to invest in one of Yamaha's newer model keyboards for that sort of stuff.

However you may find our main HOME PAGE informative and very useful to you.

http://psrtutorial.com/index.html

Be sure to check out those Home Pages as there are many "How To” Lessons regarding your keyboard’s special abilities.

We are looking forward to some of your song postings in our "Songs played by forum members" section of the forum.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/board,5.0.html

You ought to consider becoming a Supporting Member to gain access to the Charter Members Only section of the forum with thousands of extra Yamaha styles.

... the easiest way is to be a support member:

http://www.psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

By making any kind of purchase from the store, you help support the PSR Tutorial site and this forum:

http://www.psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

If you want more excellent styles, as well as hundreds of free PDF songbooks, than you can imagine, become a supporting member, you'll be glad you did.

Regards
Drake

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:27:02 AM by DrakeM »

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 11:43:50 AM »
Douglas, there are two types of voice files-- files that select one of the preset voices and then apply parameter changes to it, and files that contain new sound wave samples which add a completely new voice to the keyboard. The second type of file doesn't work on all models, but the first type might work on your model-- although you might need to rename it and possibly even edit it a bit.

The three models that I have-- which, like yours, are XGlite-compatible-- can use the first type of voice file if it has been renamed to a .MID extension. That means the keyboard will think the voice file is a song file. To select the "new" voice you must go into the song mode by pressing the SONG button, then the voice file will be listed among the songs numbered from 011 to 109 (i.e., the songs that are available on the current floppy disk). You don't need to "play" the song; simply by selecting it the keyboard should parse its contents and execute the MIDI commands that select the desired voice and apply any parameter changes to it.

However, there is a second part to this-- you must also select the OTS voice, or Voice 000, so the keyboard will use the voice that's specified by the "song" file rather than the voice specified by the panel settings. You might need to select the OTS voice before selecting the song, since the OTS voice also works with styles, hence you need to be in either the song mode (SONG button lit up) or style mode (STYLE button lit up) so the keyboard knows whether you want the OTS voice to use the settings specified by the song or by the style.

There are many voice files available on the internet, either on this site (in the forums or at the main site) or on other sites-- the file extensions vary depending on the type of voice file and its contents, but the generic voice file extension is usually .VCE. You might not be able to use voice files that have other extensions-- e.g., the .ORG extension is used for organ voices and (I think) those files contain MIDI commands for organ drawbar settings, which won't work on your model; the .SAR extension is for Super Articulation voices, which aren't available on your model; etc. Of course, I'm referring to the original file extensions, since you'll need to rename the file extension to .MID before trying to use the file on your model.

Keep in mind that the first type of voice file-- i.e., which contains no new samples, only settings-- doesn't really add a new voice to your keyboard, but only selects one of the existing voices and then changes parameters affecting the voice's sound. Nevertheless, your model responds to MIDI commands which change the Attack Time, Release Time, Filter Cutoff Frequency, and Filter Resonance, and modifying those four settings can dramatically change the way a voice sounds-- e.g., you can make a piano voice sound more like a violin by changing its Attack Time; you can make an organ voice sound more like a bell by changing its Release Time; you can make a voice sound more "twangy" by changing its Filter Resonance; etc.

Refer to the MIDI Implementation Chart in your manual to see which types of MIDI messages the keyboard will respond to; you'll also want to search the web for information about MIDI messages-- especially Control Change messages-- to see what they are and how to use them, since the MIDI Implementation Chart in your manual doesn't always say what a given message is (e.g., Control Changes 71-74 are referred to as "Sound Controller" rather than listing what each one does).

You'll also need to refer to the list of voices, reverb types and other DSP effects that are available on your keyboard.

There is an excellent utility named MixMaster, available at the main site:

http://www.psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html

With the MixMaster utility you should be able to load a voice file, see a list of all the MIDI commands contained in the file, edit them as needed, and then save everything to a new file with the .MID extension. The MixMaster utility has a built-in listing of the voices which are available on many Yamaha models-- and while all models aren't covered, the PSR-450 is. :)

If you find a voice file that selects a voice or sets parameters which aren't available on your model (which is very likely), you can still use the file if you replace the unavailable voice with a similar voice that is available, and by either deleting or modifying the other messages as appropriate and desired. For instance, you'll probably want to just delete any messages dealing with parameters that aren't available on the PSR-450. But on the other hand, if a particular Reverb Type isn't available, it would be better to replace it with one that is available rather than simply deleting the Reverb Type command altogether.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Online Roger Brenizer

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 12:28:21 PM »
Hi Douglas,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  I see Drake has already provided you with a link to our Home page and Michael has provided you with a great deal of technical information for your PSR-450 keyboard.  Michael is a Global Moderator and one of our many technical advisors.  You will find his knowledge invaluable.

You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.
http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

We're so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  There are many members here willing and eager to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page