Author Topic: Recording songs on my S770  (Read 830 times)

Offline Bobbyf

Recording songs on my S770
« on: November 21, 2016, 04:09:38 AM »
Trying to record a song on my 770, using a different voice for each section. I recorded the chord progression first, and then started adding voices for each section by pressing REC, holding down the appropriate channel number, then adding the section. I found however that by doing this I wiped that part of the rhythm track, so that although the voices were there, much of the rhythm parts were wiped out, leaving me with a very thin accompaniment sound. Where am I going wrong? Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline RONBO

Re: Recording songs on my S770
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 06:58:35 AM »
Hello Bobby

Welcome to the forum.

I'm no real expert but to answer your question here's what i believe you may be doing wrong.
you must always save your original recording before adding another track.
if you don't you are overwriting the recording and losing what you did originally.
So each time you make an addition just save it as a new song. it will tell you that song already exists so choose the overwrite option.

So keep on saving your additions.

Also if you don't like a take just re-record until you are satisfied and then Save your masterpiece.

I hope this is clear to you.

others may add their answers as well.

Regards

Ron

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 07:29:37 AM »
Hi Bobby

The MIDI recorder has 16 tracks and when you lay down your first recording of JUST THE CHORDS the tracks 9 through 16 are used. When you add any addition track you must use Tracks 1 through 8.

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:30:43 AM by DrakeM »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 07:50:50 AM »
The reference manual, p58, shows the default mapping between channels 1-16 and the respective parts. This is what happens when you use the 'quick record' feature to lay down your initial recording.

If you just recorded styles, then the individual style parts will be recorded on channels 9-16. If you also played a melody, R1 will be on channel 1 and R2 on channel 3. If you hit multipads while recording, then they will be on channel 5, 6, 7 or 8.

So when you arm a channel to record your further keyboard parts, arm a channel that doesn't have data on it that you want to keep. So for example if you're not using multipads, you can safely record further melodies on channels 5, 6, 7 or 8. If you arm channel 9, you will be overwriting the recorded rhythm part.

Unfortunately, apart from looking on the song creator step edit pages, I don't think there's an easy way to tell if a channel has data on it or not. Sometimes you need to plan out in advance what you're going to put where.

NB It's easy to get this wrong, and find that even though you played a beautiful performance, you'd set the channel to record something other than R1 so it wasn't recording your playing ....
S770