Author Topic: PSR s650 Preset style  (Read 1853 times)

Offline david.uk61

PSR s650 Preset style
« on: October 18, 2016, 11:38:17 AM »
Hi All,

Need you guidance in understanding the Style creation section.

i have a few questions. please help me to understand it.

1.How do Yamaha company creates styles which they given in the Yamaha keyboard?
2.why is that we couldn't  recreate same feel while we are creating any style? since Yamaha Preset styles have Intro tune in all the notes scales.
3.How did they create Minor tunes in the intro section which we are unable to create. since our chords are allowed only
4.How did the chord pattern works while creating any phrase or Pad session?

also in the Reference manual its given like
"Any desired chord or chord progression can be used for the INTRO and ENDING sections."

Thanks for your support in Advance.

Regards,
David

Offline Ed B

Re: PSR s650 Preset style
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 07:27:35 PM »
Hi
All good questions....
First we are not sure how Yamaha makes their styles. What we do know about style creation is covered in a tutorial on Jorgen's site:
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles.htm
and in a technical document
http://www.wierzba.homepage.t-online.de/stylefiles.htm
and in this video on making styles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVVfyNKZ6PM
Style making is not a trivial task and there are some programs that have been developed to help some commercial, and some free. If you do a search on this site you will cull more information on the topic.
Swapping parts and adding introductions using stylemaker on the keyboard is pretty good way to start with very good results.

Hope this helps
Ed B

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 07:32:21 PM by Ed B »
Keep on learning

Offline david.uk61

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 11:50:54 AM »
Thank you Ed B for the reply.

i have got few suggestion in this forum to use higher version keyboard to make style composing which will allow us to use scale fix.

but in my keyboard (PSR S650) i wonder how come the preset style can play perfectly in different scales and with all keys used no matter in which scale they are.

some of the presets composed in such a way that the notes are used out of scales like Harmonic minor scale. but when i try to compose, it allows only to use C,D,E,G,A,B.(CM7) so i could not use all the keys to compose my tunes.   which is a very difficult thing to compose my tunes.

also i have one user style i got from internet. it has intro with minor tune and all other keys used. but it plays so perfectly when i do live performance. for instance, i use this style some time in different scales. it wont do off tune.

how this is happening in my keyboard which is not having the option to compose in expected tune.

hope i can find something which will allow me to compose in my desired tune.

thank you,
David

Offline Ed B

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 07:46:51 PM »
David
You can make the changes you wish on your computer. See my reply in your other posting.
In the document on styles I listed above
http://www.wierzba.homepage.t-online.de/stylefiles.htm
Section 7.3 lists all the programs that are available to help.
To make it easy always start from a style that you know performs the way you want it and then delete the parts keeping the CASM section intact. Then change the parts or sections to the specific song you want to cover.
Regards
Ed B
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 07:51:27 PM by Ed B »
Keep on learning

Offline david.uk61

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 08:33:12 AM »
Oh I am feeling so happy .

Some how i am reaching the point to achieve what i was expecting.

This is great. i have laptop so i could do the changes which i could not do in my keyboard.

Now my next step is to understand CASM and other stuff to create style in my computer.

Thank You Ed B, this is great help.

Regards,
David

Offline david.uk61

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 04:43:11 PM »
Hi Ed b,

Thank you so much , after your suggestions i treid and learnt many thing ,everything started fine.

but stuck in one place. i have a song as how i expect it is. while recording the Part (Bass channel) i made mistake and wanted to clear it and re record again, but if i clear it even the CASM setting of the Bass channel getting deleted. 

which means i am again routed to CM7 (in Bass channel) instead the desired CASM setting.

Any suggestion to avoid this problem? like need to keep the CASM setting same while i clear the Part

(Note:i am using the PSR s650 keyboard which is not havig the CASM setting.)

Regards,
David

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 10:48:18 PM »
... everything started fine.

but stuck in one place. i have a song as how i expect it is. while recording the Part (Bass channel) i made mistake and wanted to clear it and re record again, but if i clear it even the CASM setting of the Bass channel getting deleted. 

which means i am again routed to CM7 (in Bass channel) instead the desired CASM setting.

Any suggestion to avoid this problem? like need to keep the CASM setting same while i clear the Part ...

Hi David,

first, you could use "Mix Master" software, to make all desired changes in a Style file (for example to edit the notes of a Style part)  by keeping CASM section intact:

---> http://psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html

Another option is to use "Style Split and Splice" software:

---> http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/sands/index.htm

This program splits a Style file into one .mid file and one "Non MIDI" file. The .mid file can be edited in a "normal" Sequencer/DAW software (like Cubase). After editing the .mid file and saving back in SMF0 format (NOT SMF1 !!!), the two files are "spliced" together, by using of "Style Split an Splice", once more.

A third option is to use "CASM Edit" software, to split off the MIDI section of a Style file (to be edited in a Sequencer/DAW software).

Please look at YouTube, there are several videos about editing CASM and editing MIDI section of Style files. :)

Regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:51:59 PM by overover »

Offline david.uk61

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 04:21:27 PM »
Thank you Chris,

That was very help full... i will try all this thing and check.

Regards,
David