Author Topic: TYROS MUSIC FILE MANAGEMENT  (Read 992 times)

Offline Kenny Dee

TYROS MUSIC FILE MANAGEMENT
« on: October 17, 2016, 10:09:45 AM »
I hope someone can help with this problem. I removed the hard disk out of my TYROS 2 as I traded it for a TYROS 4. I copied all of my music from the hard disk to my desktop PC. The problem is that the songs are all .AUD. When I transfer them to the TYROS 4 it doesnt' see the file (either the .aud or the wav.) I have no way to transfer my music files on my TYROS 2 to the TYROS 4.

I understand that the TYROS creates MID files but creates the .AUD compressed extension of the file for quality reasons, then converts them to a .wav file when exported. Is there a way to get these onto my TYROS 4? I spoke to Yamaha but they have no ideas.

Feel free to call me at 727-375-4427 USA or email me at k121851@gmail.com if you can help!

Thanks! Kenny

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: TYROS MUSIC FILE MANAGEMENT
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 10:20:58 AM »
Hi Kenny,

Have you tried converting your *.au files to *.wav file using Audacity?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 12:45:00 PM »
Hi Kenny,
The aud File is a Yamaha Format also in Use in the AW Recording Studios... So the simplest way to Convert is ask a T2 User to export them as wav.

Greetings Frank
Tyros Support in Germany

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 01:07:18 PM »
Hi Kenny,

On  Tyros4  the .AUD file extension is used for folders which hold amongst other files, the '.wav' files created when you record an audio song to the hard disk in 'multi Track' mode.  This process is not related to any MIDI song recording, although of course you may have recorded the audio created as a MIDI plays back.

On a Tyros4 each folder contains two wave files '000.wav' and '001.wav' which are both the same size, but this is because the audio recorder on a T4 can record in so called 'Multi Track' mode which allows a main stereo track plus a second 'sub' stereo track.  The main track is '000' and the sub track is '001'.  There are other files which the keyboard OS uses to hold information about file edits and so on, but these are not required to use the audio files.

You can play these wave files from a computer using Windows Media Player or import them into a DAW such as Audacity.

Now I have a Tyros4 but not a Tyros2, but looking in the T2 manual seems to suggest that the AUD extension was used for the folders containing the audio recordings just like the T4, but I think that the T2 only recorded audio as a single stereo track (no sub track) - this type of recording is referred to as a 'simple' recording in the T4 manual and such files are stored not in AUD folders but directly as .wav files in a folder of your choice).  Even though the contents of the AUD folders may be different on a T2 and a T4, I suspect that there may also be an audio 'wav file in a T2 AUD folder.

So if you have your T2 AUD folders on your computer, have a look inside one using Windows Explorer or whatever, and see what files are present (make sure that you can see the file extensions)!

Hopefully you might see one file with the extension '.wav' which will be the actual audio file itself.

Even though the contents of the AUD folders may be different on a T2 and a T4, both keyboards seem to use the same basic audio recording file format (16 bit PCM .wav, stereo, 44.1 kHz sample rate) .  If there are any other files in a folder then you shouldn't need those.

If there is a .wav file, try playing it by clicking on it.  If it plays then you should be able to simply copy the 'wav file from each AUD folder and name them with unique names, leaving the file extension as '.wav'.

You should then be able to select and play them on the T4 either directly from the USB or after copying them to the T4's hard disk. You can do this from the USB or from the computer if you connect the T4 to your computer in so called 'USB Storage Mode' as described on page 103 of the 'Tyros4 Owner's Manual'.

I suggest that you make a back up of the T2 data before doing anything else with it, then pick one song to try.

Hopefully you will be able to recover all of your songs, but if you are unsure of how to proceed, you could try posting a zipped copy of one AUD folder (if it is small enough), or emailing it to me, and I will have a look at it and try to transfer the song to my own T4.

Regards

Ian