Author Topic: V. Basic midi question  (Read 1677 times)

Offline tommac

V. Basic midi question
« on: September 10, 2016, 06:20:38 AM »
hi -I know this is extremely basic and embarrassed to ask but here goes.  I can load a midi file of my favourite track  from USB and see the voices R1 R2 R3 on the screen but when I play along the voices played dont match with those on midi.. I assumed this would be an automatic feature .Help please--thanks

Edit--sorted. --seems R1 2 & 3 are default and voices have to be changed manually to match Midi (I think)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 09:31:34 AM by tommac »

Offline MBedesem

Re: V. Basic midi question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 01:38:59 PM »
Tom:

The PSR/Tyros are complex instruments. There is actually two midi 16 channel midi devices:

1) A 16 channel keyboard made up of 3-4 Right/Left voices, 4 multipads, and 8 style parts.The voices are loaded by selecting voices or selecting registrations, pads by selecting pads or selecting registrations and styles by selecting styles directly or selecting a Music Finder Entry or selecting a style via a registration.

2) A 16 channel midi player/recorder which gets loaded by a song from the storage or when you record from the keyboard

Loading a midi file only sets up the midi player/recorder.

Regards,

Michael
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 02:08:00 PM by MBedesem »
Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 04:21:16 PM »
Tom,

This is a feature, not a bug. It allows you to accompany the midi with a different instrument. Or, more common, mute the midi's melody track and play it on your own.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline tommac

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 10:45:23 AM »
all makes perfect sense now --thanks.

Online tyrosaurus

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 03:40:32 PM »
Hi Tom,

Loading a midi file only sets up the midi player/recorder.

Just so that you are  clear about this.

When a MIDI song plays on your T4, the voices played by the MIDI song are those assigned to the 16 channel MIDI Song Player.

As Michael says loading a MIDI file on your keyboard sets up the voices used by the MIDI Song player.

However the keyboard parts (R & L voices, Multi Pads, even Style parts) are still available to use, and can be played while the song is playing back.

If you want to play along with the song, you can manually select the voices that you want to use for the R and L keyboard voice parts as you wish without affecting the voices used by the song parts.

However it is also possible to get the MIDI song to select and setup the main keyboard voice parts as well!   ;)

In fact this can be done as often as you like at different parts of the song, so that the keyboard voices selected change as the song plays.

This is done on Yamaha keyboards by a piece of so called MIDI Meta data which holds the keyboard part voices and their settings, and  can be added to the MIDI song code from the keyboard's Song Creator (CHANNEL tab, option 5: SETUP). 

I don't know, but I assume that this Meta data wouldn't mean anything to a non Yamaha keyboard, and even if the song was originally created on a Yamaha keyboard, it may not contain such data unless set to do so.  I would not expect songs that you have not recorded yourself to normally contain such data.

To give you an idea about this, I have attached a short MIDI (recently uploaded in a collection by Roger Brenizer) which originally did not have any keyboard voice selection Meta data, to which I have added two voice changes using my own T4's Song Creator.

If you load it you should see the R1,2,3 and L voices change on the Main display as soon as you load it and then again around measure 33. 

Note that at the end of a song, the song player position resets to the beginning, and because in this song the first keyboard voice selection is at the beginning, the voices will return to the first ones set in the song. 

The 'lead' melody part is on MIDI Song channel 1 so if you want to play along with the song, you can turn this off using the 'CHANNEL ON/OFF' button showing the 'SONG' page if you want to, or just lower the volume a little using the 'Mixing Console (SONG CH 1-8)' VOL/VOICE tab.

You can read about this in the section -  Songs: 'Editing Channel Events' starting on page 70 of the 'Tyros4 Reference Manual' which (unlike the Owner's Manual) is not usually supplied with the keyboard, but can be downloaded from the list at the following link to Yamaha's  Tyros4 Downloads web page.  The information about SETUP is option 5 which is on page 72 ...

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?site=uk.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16277&category_id2=16084&category_id3=&product_id=1072947

I don't want to confuse you with this, especially if you are new to keyboards, and I would suggest not to get too involved with such details until you are more familiar with your T4, but I just wanted you to know that it is possible to do this if you really want to!

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:00:29 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 01:13:28 AM »
Hi Ian,

Thank you for the credit and recognition in the above post!
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline tommac

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 02:10:29 AM »
what a brilliant forum---thought I was going to get laughed off.  I will digest all the above information and not try and run ahead of myself.