Author Topic: hi--All the tools no idea  (Read 1754 times)

Offline tommac

hi--All the tools no idea
« on: September 09, 2016, 07:37:52 AM »
hi -been wanting to learn to play a keyboard for ages. Anyway my wife has just yesterday bought me a Tyros 4 --complete overkill but hey. Just looking to have fun and learn. Lessons start next week.  :P------------busy going through the tutorials on this site.

Online Roger Brenizer

Re: hi--All the tools no idea
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 08:12:09 AM »
Hi Thomas,

Welcome to the forum and this great keyboard website.  You're very fortunate to have such a caring wife and now being the proud owner of a Tyros 4.  I'm confident you will find many hours of pleasure in this keyboard.

I read your introduction and know that you are really going to enjoy being a member of this forum, which will become like a second family to you, once you begin to interact with the other members.

You'll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.
This link will take you to the Home page of the website: http://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, other forum boards will become available to you as well as a wealth of musical knowledge.  There's no obligation to become a supporting member.

We're glad you've decided to become a member.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  There are many knowledgeable members here very willing to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline tommac

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 08:16:37 AM »
Thanks----spent a couple hours reading the forum and already learning loads---cool site

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 11:28:06 AM »
Thomas:

In case you do not have all manuals, you can get them here:

http://download.yamaha.com/

Both the Operators and the Reference Manual are useful to look up what something does or common procedures.

Regards,

Michael
Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline Gloria

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 12:59:34 PM »
THOMAS - My congratulations for deciding to take lessons!  That will save you so much time & energy by playing the correct way instead of spending even more time to relearn things that were wrong.  Never hesitate to ask!   :)

Gloria
"Music is the Universal Language"
PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 02:20:03 AM »
Hi Tom - good luck with your Tyros. You don't say if you can already play another musical instrument, but I would just say that you need to realize that you are taking a lot on here and you have three very different and each quite difficult things to learn. There is the Tyros operating system, reading music and keyboard playing. The Tyros is quite technically advanced, and even for people who can play decent keyboard, there is much to learn about its operating system - what buttons to press to make this happen or that happen. However, even that is simple compared to learning to read music and play a keyboard from scratch. If you tackle all things together it might get overwhelming and you will give up. My advice is separate the learning process a bit and put most of you early effort into learning to play. Hopefully your teacher will guide you down the right path.
Mike

Offline tommac

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 06:11:55 AM »
thanks all--I realise its probably not the best choice for a beginner but its certainly fun. I`m concentrating on learning to play primarily then back later to "fiddle " with it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 06:14:42 AM by tommac »

Offline andyg

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 08:25:21 AM »
As I tell my students, it's actually easier to play the bigger keyboards then the smaller ones. Having everything screen driven, with category buttons for sounds and styles, and dedicated buttons for all sorts of other things is far easier than the smaller screened keyboards, where most things are accessed via a numeric keypad.

So it's a great choice for a beginner. An increasing number of my students are going up to a Tyros or S class keyboard before they get to Grade 1 exam standard, or just after. And a few have started with something like a T3 or an S950 in the last year.

Taking lessons is always the best way (I would say that, wouldn't I?  ;D ) but make sure you have a keyboard teacher, not just a piano teacher who 'dabbles' with keyboard. With respect to the previous post, I start getting people to use what the keyboard offers from Day 1 and never split the 'playing' from the 'operating'. That first tune in the book gets 'arranged', not just played. A good teacher will know what to do and it's done one step at a time, of course!

A quick check for a good teacher is to ask them what keyboard exams their students take. The answer should ideally be London College of Music or Trinity College of Music. The other minor exam boards with keyboard syllabuses hadn't gained Ofqual accreditation last time I looked. Teachers with a good track record of keyboard exam successes will know their onions.

Whatever you do, have fun with it, and never be afraid to ask something here! :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 08:31:25 AM by andyg »
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com