Author Topic: Power Chord Issue  (Read 1768 times)

Offline chasisme

Power Chord Issue
« on: August 30, 2016, 03:01:27 PM »
The power chord where it attaches to my PSR 3000 is loose.  But, I'm not sure if the "loose"
is in the power chord or the internal connection.  I guess I could buy a new chord but it might not be the problem.

Anyone have any experience with this simple yet important issue?  If I were gigging, I'd be
in a bad spot.  Strange as this never was an issue.  May have been just 12 years of use.

Appreciate suggestions, ideas.

Offline jerryghr

Re: Power Chord Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 07:55:31 AM »
I am constantly plugging and unplugging my Tyro moving from gigs to home etc.  The plug fits snug, and I am concerned about loosening the Tyros connection. I may buy an adaptor to leave in the keyboard to minimize wear and tear.  A $6 solution.

Online Roger Brenizer

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 10:19:23 AM »
Very smart solution, Jerry!
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 12:31:08 PM »
jerryghr...

The wear and loosening if it occurs will be on the female connection on the cord itself. Standard IEC cords in different lengths are probably less expensive than the adapter. The adapter is not a bad idea, but it also adds 3 more connection points from the cord into the Tyros. Less connection points should be more reliable and less prone to failure. A spare cord in the cable bag while you're out gigging would be a good idea anyhow.

chasisme....

Assuming you mean the 'barrel' connector to the back of your PSR3000 and not the AC cord which plugs into the power adapter(?) The jack on the keyboard has a springy metal connection inside that makes contact to the barrel of the plug. If this springy metal piece became weak the plug may feel loose. I'm guessing that replacing the cord side that plugs into the jack may not help.

Offline chasisme

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 12:46:27 PM »
Thanks for your replies and sorry for delay in responding  I bought a new power chord from Ebay a suggestion I read somewhere on the forum.  $15.00 spend but problem not resolved.
So, Now, I have 2 very good power chords

That leaves the problem on the PSR itself.  The last suggestion of a "springy" connection is interesting but what can I do with it if it is in fact "loose".  It doesn't feel loose but it must be. 
Also, I'm having problems with the USB port connection.  Sometimes it connects and sometimes not.  And sometimes partially.  It will show USB  and maybe a main category like "ballads" but when I try to get into the subcategory styles themselves, no.

I'm in Cincinnati Ohio.  I love my 14 year old Yamaha 3000 and willing to send "where" for a tune up. 

How do I find a Yamaha approved shop if there is such a thing or does Yamaha have authorized shops?   

Thanks for any help

Offline chasisme

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 12:49:53 PM »
Forgot to say that I can get my PSR 3000 to work by nudging the chord to one side and taping it so it doesn't move back and disconnect.  Not a good thing at all.  I call it my "Irish" remedy but not smart, I know.

Help    See previous re shops for repair.  I doubt this is something I can handle now.

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 01:32:12 PM »
Here's a picture of an 'open' type power connector that you can see the 'spring' connection part that presses against the sleeve of the barrel. The one in your keyboard may be a bit different, but works about the same. If the connector isn't too loose to the point of falling out easily, but only loses connection intermittently, it may be that the connection pin and/or the spring part may have some oxidation or other contaminate on its surface which cause a poor electrical connection. Perhaps using a contact cleaner such as...
https://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeOxit-Cleaning-Solution-Spray/dp/B0002BBV4G (pricey, but worth it) might clean it up. May be available at a Guitar Center as well.  Only a very small squirt would be needed.
The other problem it possibly could be is the soldered connection to the circuit board inside may have broken loose. If cleaning above doesn't 'fix' the problem it may unfortunately mean a trip to the 'keyboard doctor'.

Possibly it may help the USB port connections also. Again just a very small squirt, it doesn't take much of this 'magic juice' to work.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 01:37:09 PM by MarkF_48 »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 09:30:52 AM »
After a while, the tiny compression spring on the connector wears out. It is very easily replaced and the most difficult part about the job is opening the keyboard. Just two screws hold the connector to the chasis and the wires are soldered on.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline panda

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 11:31:11 PM »
My local yamaha Technician changed my PSR3000's Usb port with a new one...after The Wear and tear useage more than 12 years of touring all over my country.

You will need to change this USB port.
Less is More!.

Offline chasisme

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 09:35:21 AM »
I did find an authorized Yamaha repair company right in my own community of Sharonville, Ohio which is on the northside of Cincinnati.  There name is Sphar for anyone looking for a great family owned company.   They replacd both the power chord connection and the USB port as well as two upgrades to the operating system which I didn't know about.  Not sure what they were for but feel good that Sphar was on the job.

So, problem resolved and I thank all of you for your comments and suggestions.  Hope my post helps someone else.  Cheers.