Author Topic: External drum kit  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Kevin Sanders

• Supporter
  • Asst. Member
  • It may not be your way but it is a way.
External drum kit
« on: August 19, 2016, 10:00:24 AM »
Has anyone tried hooking up a MIDI drum kit to a PSR or Tyros?
How does one assign voices and channels?
Thanks in advance.
PSR S-910, P-60, DD-65, KX-25

Offline MBedesem

Re: External drum kit
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 05:29:17 PM »
I do not think we (or at least I) understand what you are referring to.

Could you please give more information about the issue and what you want to do?

Regards,

Michael

Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline Kevin Sanders

• Supporter
  • Asst. Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 05:38:27 PM »
Thanks for your interest. I have a PSR S910 and I'd like to hook up a Yamaha DD-65 electronic drum kit so that I can lay down the drum kit part of a style without using the PSR keyboard.
I'm also keen to allow the drum kit, in hand beaten mode, to be used as bongos etc. by a second party.
I'd like to learn to play the drums, too  :)
The DD-65 has MIDI in and out.

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 05:42:51 AM »
Kevin:

I looked at the manual (http://download.yamaha.com/ ) and the DD-65 will transmit midi data either corresponding either to the midi note assigned to the specific pad you hit, or a note number you have preassigned.

What you do with this data when it arrives at the PRS depends upon the Function/Midi/AllParts/Edit  and selecting the Receive Tab. There you can direct the data to the song player (whose voice is set by the Mixer Button/Song pages) or to the keyboard or style as if it was being keyed on the PSR.

Regards,

Michael

Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline Kevin Sanders

• Supporter
  • Asst. Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 02:10:29 AM »
Thank you, Michael. That has given me a basic understanding and where to start. I am most grateful. I'll receive the DD-65 on Friday and I'll let you know how I get on next week.
I must say, for the modest outlay on the PSR keyboard (less than I'd pay for a reasonable camera lens), I'm getting an enormous amount of fun from it. If the DD-65 is a success I shall progress to a DTXplorer kit and use the DD-65 as dedicated bongos.
Thanks again for your help.

Offline Kevin Sanders

• Supporter
  • Asst. Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 11:34:57 AM »
Hmmmm. Not as easy as it looks, is it?
Does anyone have experience of a DD-65? I'll check elsewhere if not, but the bass drum pedal seems a bit dysfunctional LOL. You can stomp on it and it won't always make the sound. Other times it does a double or triple hit. It's second-hand so may be faulty, of course. Bloody eBay!
Anyway, I connected it through the MIDI port on the PSR keyboard and the sounds come through fine, playing the drums defined in the style. You can set it (Channel 10) to the 'Song', the default, or you can choose Rhythm1 or Rhythm2 if there is one. The 'Song' setting applies all the extra processing, like revereb etc. whilst the 'Rhythm1' setting is just the dead drum sounds. Which one should I use, do you supppose?
It sounds great, but, (of course) it doesn't have all the instruments the keybord has when you select a drum kit as a voice.
As always, any advice appreciated and thanks in advance.

Offline Kevin Sanders

• Supporter
  • Asst. Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 11:52:12 PM »
Actually, it is pretty easy if you don't over think it, as I did.
Now I just set channel 10 to receive and it works fine. I can set the drums to 'hand hit' and someone can play the bongos or something while I play live, or I can set them to normal and use them in style composition or if someone wants to drum live. It's great!