Author Topic: new member/PSR-S770  (Read 1502 times)

Offline farnhill

new member/PSR-S770
« on: July 14, 2016, 08:30:20 AM »
Hi everyone, just like to introduce myself, my name is Ernest and live in the UK. I have always had an interest in music, my mother was a church organist and we always had a piano in the house. Times were hard and there was no spare cash for music lessons so I set about teaching myself,that would have been about 70 years ago. Keen for more sounds I switched to organs,my last one being a Technics three manual job which I sold some time ago. well, surprise,surprise!,my dear wife bought me a PSR 770 for my 80th. This is a completely new concept for me and I will definitely need some help so please watch this page.
Regards. Ernest

Offline Gloria

Re: new member/PSR-S770
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 09:01:12 AM »
Welcome Ernest!  This is a very friendly & helpful Forum, so feel free to ask questions; a lot of us started our keyboard playing with your similar experience!  You have a very smart wife - what a wonderful gift!   :D

"Music is the Universal Language"
PSR Performer Page

Offline Pigletboy

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 12:12:58 PM »
Amazing present! Welcome Ernest!  :D
Pigletboy

Online Roger Brenizer

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 12:58:34 PM »
Hi Ernest,

Welcome to this great website and forum.  You've certainly made the right choice in becoming a member.  What a dear wife you must have for presenting you with a new PSR-S770 keyboard on your 80th birthday.  Happy Birthday, Ernest!

I'm sure you will most likely have questions about your new keyboard and you will find that many experienced PSR-S770 users will be very happy to answer your questions, as well as many other keyboard owners also.

You'll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.
This link will take you to the Home page of the website: http://psrtutorial.com/

In due time you may want to consider becoming a supporting member; however, there is no obligation to do so.  Becoming a supporting member will provide access to other forum boards, which will give you additional member benefits.

We're glad that you have decided to become a member.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline smiling jack

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 01:56:42 PM »
Welcome Ernest!! I got my first keyboard when I was 72 with no previous musical experience. Worked from the bottom up to today (85) and still learning!! Your love of music will see you through!! Regards, Jack..

Offline farnhill

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 08:24:45 AM »
Hello again.
many thanks for your kind remarks,I am so glad that I found this amazing Tutorial.Having now read through a lot of it I am aware that i will need some registrations to get me going and until i learn how to produce my own.I notice that there are some very kind people who offer downloads of regs' and gigs for specific models and I realise that they are not yet available for my keyboard,but I was wondering if some of these would possibly be compatible with the PSR770,can anyone enlighten me please?
Regards;  Ernest

Offline ed mc

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »
Hello Ernest,

I have been a forum member for 1 month and have found a lot of useful information. Like you I have had an interest in playing music since I was 6 years old. I wanted to take piano lessons but my parents had no money for the lessons or a piano. At age 23 I started repairing organs part time for the local music dealer. An easy way to earn some extra money with my electronic engineering background. This lead to more exposure to music and the electronic organ and to taking lessons for 5 years. I started with a Lowery Genie, then a Gulbransen Paragon and finally a Yamaha HS-6 which I had for 26 years. 2 Years ago decided to finally upgrade to a Yamaha PSR-S950 that I love and really enjoy now that I have gotten used to the single keyboard and no foot pedals (I still find myself stomping the floor for the pedals once and a while). I am one of only 6 people in the state of Pennsylvania that has the knowledge and technical skills to do organ repair. In 2001 I received the President's Award from Allen Organ Company (the largest manufacturer of church organs in the USA) for my design and installation of church organs.

Music has always been a big part of my life. I worked for 10 years in the music business as a partner and manager in two different organizations. The balance of my career was spent as an electronics engineer and ending with the final 16 years as an instructor at Penn State University.

I hope you enjoy your PSR-S770 as much a I do my PSR-S950. I play for 2-3 hours everyday for my own amusement and amazement.

Enjoy the music,

Ed McCabe

Offline farnhill

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 08:21:57 AM »
Hello Ed. What an interesting life for a music lover. The mention of "Lowrey" brought back memories ,I did own a Symphonic Holiday many years ago which I loved. I do still have the workshop manual for it which I would pass on to any interested party.
Regards;-  Ernest

Offline DerekA

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 09:15:56 AM »
Hi Ernest

I have an S770 and can tell you that a large number of style, registration and voice files on this site will work on it. The exceptions are registrations or voices created on Tyros or S970 which might require samples that are not present in the S770 ROM. This happens mainly in the OTS voices on styles created on Tyros. Files created with the older keyboards (i.e. S950 backwards) should work properly just as they are since Yamaha don't tend to remove samples from the ROM (as far as I know anyway).

But I would encourage you just to try out anything at all you find on this site because it's likely to work well. I'm particularly grateful to all the members who have posted style collections; I have literally thousands of style files on a USB stick. (Thanks to you all).

NB my first keyboard was a double-manual GEM Wizard 320 which, if I recall correctly, had about 6 'voices' and 6 accompaniment patterns. We really are spoiled these days ...!
S770