Author Topic: Greetings from Australia  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Paul5108

Greetings from Australia
« on: June 23, 2016, 01:24:38 AM »
Hello all,

I am Paul S,  another new member to the forum with many many questions that hopefully with time will be answered. To give a brief history, I began learning the keyboard many many years ago as a child when My father bought a Yamaha Electone B10 organ. Life changed, became a teenager with different priorities, got married, had family but never forgot the enjoyment of playing the keyboard. My Father had over the last 10 or so years acquired a couple of keyboards of different manufacture with the last being the Yamaha PSR-500.

Now retired, I have kind of got the time to rekindle my knowledge and enjoyment of playing. For the Nostalgia, I acquired a Yamaha Organ similar to the one we had as children and with playing, soon came to realise that technology has moved on just a little. Sic.

To cut a long story short, My father now has decided that he wants to upgrade after seeing and hearing the newer models so has ordered a Yamaha PSR-S970 from our local music store. as a result, I now have the PSR-500 and the questions start to arise.

I read much information here and elsewhere regarding the New S970 but find very little about the 500. Does anyone in these forums still use this much older machine and if so, is help available? Unfortunately the user manual is not easy to follow and I am hoping there may be something along the format you have here to learn at least the basics of the PSR-500. To start, I have a number of questions in regard to the import/export of MIDI files via a MIDI-USB adaptor with associated software and drivers to use.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Offline MBedesem

Re: Greetings from Australia
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 12:15:11 PM »
Welcome Paul

The PSR-500 goes back a few years, and while the Operator Manual is still available (http://download.yamaha.com/ ), it is not as complete as with later models.

Please post your questions, and perhaps users of this or related products can assist with the answers.

Regards,

Michael
Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 01:55:36 PM »
Hi Paul,

Welcome to this great website and forum.  I really enjoyed reading the short synopsis of your life's interest in music.  You've certainly made the right choice in becoming a member.

As Michael said, you will most likely have your questions answered about your older PSR-500 keyboard by posting them in the appropriate boards and you will, more than likely, find some experienced PSR-500 users that should be able to answer your questions.

In due time you may want to consider becoming a supporting member; however, there is no obligation to do so.  Becoming a supporting member will provide access to other forum boards, which will give you additional member benefits.

You'll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.

This link will take you to the Home page of the website: http://psrtutorial.com/

We're glad that you have decided to become a member.  As Michael and I have previously said, if you have any questions, then please just ask.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline Paul5108

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 12:04:37 AM »
Thank you for your welcome messages.

Yes as I may have indicated in my introduction, I am well aware that the PSR-500 is an old machine. Micheal even indicated that the Manual was available. Unfortunately it is no longer listed on the Yamaha Site but I do have the original that was packaged with the unit itself.

When I first started searching for info I soon came to realize that there was not much available and it seems many of the links in existence are now dead. I got excited when I came across a link in Synthzone.com titled "PSR-500 MIDI FILES". Alas another dead link.

Further searching in various forums and comments mention that the 500 was in fact a top of the range arranger in its time. I still see it as a professional class keyboard hence my interest in learning to operate all the features.

Whether the Admins of this site would be prepared to create a separate Sub Topic under keyboards to deal specifically with the 500 I imagine would be dependent on the number of users. I have had a random search through all the other topics here and there has been little information, most seem to refer to previous use prior to upgrade.

My main question at the moment is the ability to connect the PSR-500 to a computer through the MIDI connectors through a MIDI-USB conversion cable (which I have) but am not sure whether it is working as designed.

Rather than putting all the details here in this topic of the forums, I can wait to see if a dedicated sub topic is created as mentioned above. If not then I would very much appreciate assistance here but feel it would not be the appropriate place to do so. After all this is the "hello Everyone" section.

Regards

Paul

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 07:30:32 AM »
Hi Paul,

I'm aware that you have the original User Manual that came with your keyboard; however, I thought maybe you would also like a digital copy for your archives.  I thought I had the Service Manual for it too, but could not readily find it.  If I locate it, then I will forward it to you also.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page