Author Topic: PSR S970: can't save All User Voices to USB  (Read 1871 times)

Offline MrDataWrangler

PSR S970: can't save All User Voices to USB
« on: June 05, 2016, 02:37:48 PM »
Here are the steps I'm following:

1. Select Voices > User
2. Press "Menu1"
3. Select "Copy"
4. Select "All".  (This highlights all Voices on all pages. Good.)
5. With all Voices highlighted, press the tab button to move to the USB1 tab.. press the tab button.. press the tab button. Oops, the tab button does not work and the User tab remains highlighted so I can't Save the highlighted Voices to the USB drive.

Any help much appreciated,

DW

P.S. I don't have any issues saving a single Voice to the USB drive. My issue is saving multiple Voices.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:49:01 PM by MrDataWrangler »

Online tyrosaurus

Re: PSR S970: can't save All User Styles to USB
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 02:49:13 PM »
After pressing 'ALL' to select and highlight all the files or folders, you must press 'OK' to continue to the next step.

After doing this you should be able to use the TAB buttons to move to a different drive.

The final step in selecting either a single file or all of them to COPY is to press 'OK'!

Regards

Ian

Offline Joe H

Re: PSR S970: can't save All User Voices to USB
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 04:55:22 PM »
DW,

I'm just curious... when you say User Voices, are you referring to expansion pack Voices or Voice Set files?  You can't copy the pack Voice waveforms, all you will be copying is the Voice Set (Voice setup) files.

Joe H

Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline MrDataWrangler

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 06:40:53 PM »
By User voices I meant a voice that is present in the upper right part of the S970, but saved in the User tab of Voice (Right 1).   

These voices are not new but in case  I ever reset the S970 back to factory settings I want to quickly reload all the User voices ( my "favorites")  in one fell swoop back into  the Voice (Right 1), User tab.   (Like saving a folder of files on a computer to a USB drive for later restoration)

DW

Offline MrDataWrangler

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 06:48:55 PM »
Ian,

On my S970 I do not see an "All" menu (while in Voice (Right1),  User tab) until I press the Copy button. After pressing Copy I am asked if I want to copy All files or just some. I select "All", all voices are highlighted but the tab button will not navigate at this time. My only choice is to hit the "OK" button but doing that de-selects all the voices I just selected! Somewhat maddening.

DW

Offline MrDataWrangler

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 06:56:28 PM »
Joe,

You wrote >>> , are you referring to expansion pack Voices or Voice Set files?

By Voice Set files are you referring to the sounds that came with the S970 out-of-the-box?  If so, those are the ones I'm trying to backup. Effectively, I want to backup my "favorites" settings so I don't need to reenter then if I ever reset the S970.

DW

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 07:57:08 PM »
DW,

Sorry I didn't mean to confuse you.  Some people think they can "Copy" the "actual" Preset Voices... they cannot.

Every Preset Voice and Pack Voice has a VOICE SET file.  Once we edit the Preset Voice or Pack Voice using VOICE SET... it becomes a "User Voice".   The VOICE SET file is a MIDI file that sets up the Voice as soon as it is selected.

So... you have edited some Preset Voices and saved them to your Internal User Drive.  (yes, then these are VOICE SET files).  It's probably a better idea to always  save them to your USB drive and back them up on your computer.

On the S770, S970 (and Tyros I assume) the User Drive is there for the pack styles, Multi Pads, songs and registrations.  On my S910 it worked a little different. On the instruments that support Expansion Packs, the User Drive is where these Expansion Pack files go.  The Voices (wave forms) have their own separate Expansion Memory different from the "User Drive".

Joe H

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:58:15 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Online tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 08:04:21 PM »
Hi DW,

On my S970 I do not see an "All" menu (while in Voice (Right1),  User tab) until I press the Copy button. After pressing Copy I am asked if I want to copy All files or just some. I select "All", all voices are highlighted but the tab button will not navigate at this time. My only choice is to hit the "OK" button but doing that de-selects all the voices I just selected! Somewhat maddening.

When you use the COPY function, the file or files that you select do appear to 'deselect' when you press OK, but they are still selected for copying!  ???   I know that this can be a bit disconcerting,  but this is the way that Yamaha have chosen to implement the file selection function in the keyboard OS, however confusing, illogical, or even perverse you and I may think it is!   :'(

You say that you have copied individual files by pressing OK after selecting the file.  Well if you watch the selected file closely as you press OK, the highlighting disappears from the file, just the same as if you have selected multiple files or even ALL.

So please try using the ALL option but press OK afterwards.  Then you will be able to use the Tab buttons to PASTE the files to a different drive/folder.

To be fair to Yamaha, they do explain in all owner's manuals (page 30/31 of the PSR-S970 one) that you need to press OK to actually confirm the selection and move on to the PASTE part of the process, but they don't warn you that the highlighting will disappear from the selected file/files!  ::)

Regards

Ian