Author Topic: What is a PSR-3000 worth?  (Read 4554 times)

Offline RetroDuo

What is a PSR-3000 worth?
« on: June 03, 2016, 04:42:50 PM »
I recently bought a PSR-S770, because my PSR-3000 had to be repaired. I have it back, now, and I am thinking about selling it. I have been searching for a backup PSR-3000, for several years and have never found a single one for sale, in the USA. I found a couple, in the UK, but the shipping would have brought the price up to that of a 770. So, I am considering listing my 3000, on EBay. I think it should bring a pretty good amount, since they are so hard to find. I have a figure in mind, but I thought I would toss the question, to the group. So, if you were in my situation, what would be your reserve amount, on an EBay auction?

Online Dick Rector

Re: What is a PSR-3000 worth?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 05:17:36 PM »
Don't put your hopes too high. The 3000 is a fine working horse and seldom something goes wrong but it is also a quite old keyboard.
Wish you luck selling it.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline RetroDuo

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 06:06:07 PM »
What is your take on why there are none, on the market? Is it because they are so good people keep them, they are expensive to repair, or something else?

Offline dixie

• PSR 3000, DGX 300, Technics KN 6500
  • Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 07:44:02 PM »
In my case, it is because it is so good I wouldn't think of changing it.
Dixie
Roanna

HSL

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 11:31:30 PM »
What is your take on why there are none, on the market? Is it because they are so good people keep them, they are expensive to repair, or something else?

Maybe because they would trade for so little that it is not worth the hassle of selling it.

Honestly, in 2016, who is so desperate to buy a psr3000? It is like buying a CRT monitor or TV set.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 11:32:45 PM by HSL »

Online Dick Rector

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 01:01:26 AM »

You gave the answer, they are very good, strong and that's why they are popular, people keep them and you'll see them seldom for sale.
Having said that, a second hand keyboard of that age doesn't make much money that's also a reason to keep it. I still have a PSR 2000, also a good product from Yamaha but 14 years or so old. I have it linked with my PSR 950 and use it to test all sorts of things. I will keep it.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline andyg

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 02:13:49 AM »
They come up from time to time and they sell pretty quickly. OK, they lack a few things from the likes of the PSR-S9xx series, Super Articulation voices being one of the major points, but as has been said, they're reliable, make a very good sound and they are physically smaller than the S class. I've had students take exams at diploma level using them, so they have a lot going for them. And, yes, I've talked to people who have bought S class or Tyros instruments and have decided to keep the PSR3K as a 'spare' or have simply passed it on to children/grandchildren rather than sell.

That said, all this doesn't help the value that much. Each new S class instrument pushes the value of previous models down further. I've seen the PSR3K go for less than 300 and as much as 400 but I think the lower figure is more like it these days.

Honestly, in 2016, who is so desperate to buy a psr3000? It is like buying a CRT monitor or TV set.

You'd be surprised! When my students reach Grade 3, the exam requirements include use of a volume pedal. That means moving on from that PSR-E instrument that took them through Grades 1 and 2. Not everyone can afford a new instrument, or even a used S-900 or similar.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:18:21 AM by andyg »
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

HSL

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 10:06:23 AM »
You'd be surprised! When my students reach Grade 3, the exam requirements include use of a volume pedal. That means moving on from that PSR-E instrument that took them through Grades 1 and 2. Not everyone can afford a new instrument, or even a used S-900 or similar.

Just curious. I am sure they all have the last model of smartphone. How much did they spend for that? How fast are they changing it (for the latest model)?

The main reason many people have no money is because they spend too much. The costlier cars are not driven by the richest, but by those that bought them with debts (maybe the parents of your students) .....

I am still using a 6 years old mobile phone (not smart) that costed me 29.9. And I am not going to change it. It keeps the battery running for not less than 5 days, it's small and pocketable and makes perfect phone calls.

I have enough money to buy a Mercedes but I am still driving my 2003 Peugeot (200k km). Still going strong. And can leave it at the airport car parking for 15 days without fear of being stolen. The money I am saving not having a Mercedes is better spent going on holidays.

By the way, I am on holidays, my car is at the airport car parking, and I am in the hotel waiting to have dinner.

Offline RetroDuo

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 05:12:57 PM »
Maybe because they would trade for so little that it is not worth the hassle of selling it.

I guess I will find out. I haven't found the PSR-S770 to be any great improvement. I have a two-man band, playing guitar and singing, with my homemade backing tracks, that I do, on the keyboard. I also process my partner's vocals, through the keyboard, with mine going through a Fishman Loudbox. The instruments sound a bit better. The vocal section is weaker, in my opinion. The added styles don't really bring much to the table, for us. Mostly, a bunch of stuff that we won't be using. I would have liked to have seen more Blues, Country and Ballad styles, but that isn't the case. I'm going on vacation, in about a week, and I will be taking the 3000 with me, since it is smaller and is worth less money. When I get back, I will probably set a high reserve, maybe $800 bucks, or so. If it doesn't sell, I will keep it.

Offline andyg

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 10:36:30 AM »
Also bear in mind that the PSR3000 was the top of the home range of keyboards (ie not a Tyros!), with the PSR1500 being the lesser sibling. With the move to the S class keyboards, the 7xx have always been less impressive than the 9xx. If you'd had the 970, I think you'd have noticed a much greater difference.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline psrguy

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »
I recently bought a PSR-S770, because my PSR-3000 had to be repaired. I have it back, now, and I am thinking about selling it. I have been searching for a backup PSR-3000, for several years and have never found a single one for sale, in the USA. I found a couple, in the UK, but the shipping would have brought the price up to that of a 770. So, I am considering listing my 3000, on EBay. I think it should bring a pretty good amount, since they are so hard to find. I have a figure in mind, but I thought I would toss the question, to the group. So, if you were in my situation, what would be your reserve amount, on an EBay auction?

OK, let's make a deal now.

Although  i don't know the condition of your 3K board

I'll pay you 2 pounds and you pay the shipping costs.  Deal ?

Placing a value on something you own is tough because in reality the market sets the price and with electronic gear the age of the electronic gear is a huge factor.  The older the gear the selling price goes down down down to nearly zero.   Let's say that  after you buy it used  the power supply goes wonkey or that display screen goes south where do get replacements  for those two significant parts ?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:26:45 PM by psrguy »
Clever Illustrations of Everyday Sayings

http://imgur.com/gallery/x3rSK

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 01:00:59 PM »
When Yamaha released the PSR S770 and S970, all previous models got devalued significantly.  Why?...  because of all the improvements... so much more of everything and greatly improved sound quality.

I had a hard time selling my S910 for $800.00 with "extras" on eBay, which I think has a lot more going for it than the PSR 3000.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

HSL

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 01:10:23 PM »
A brand new S770 costs 1000.

How much would you pay a 14 years old used S770? Let's say that X (<1) is a fraction of the brand new S770 price.

Now, let's say that Y (<1) is a fraction representing the specs ratio of a PSR3000 vs a S770 (which is much better in everything).

The fair price of a PSR3000 is therefore 1000 *X*Y.

Put your estimates for X and Y and you are done.

Online SeaGtGruff

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »
About a year-and-a-half ago I bought a used YPT-400, which is the same as the PSR-E403. I assume it sold for $250 when it was initially released in 2006. Today the asking price for a used PSR-E403 or YPT-400 ranges from under $100 to over $200, depending on the seller. I even see used PSR-E203 or YPT-200 keyboards advertised for asking prices of up to $200, which is absolutely insane since that's about double the original price-- although in some cases the asking price could perhaps be justified due to the inclusion of extras, e.g., a dust cover, a keyboard stand, a keyboard bench, and/or music books.

Anyway, I paid only $80 for my YPT-400, or $95 if you count the additional $15 I paid Yamaha for a copy of the CD that originally came with the keyboard, which was missing from the box. Either way you look at it, that's less than the price of a new PSR-E253, and the YPT-400 is a much better keyboard than the PSR-E253, even though it's 10 years old. I wouldn't have bought it if it were $100 or more, but only because I'd already seen used PSR-E403s and YPT-400s advertised for less than $100, so that was what I considered to be "a good deal."

As long as you aren't in a rush to sell your used keyboard (be it a PSR-3000 or a Tyros 5), you might as well set a fairly high (but not unreasonable) asking price for it, with an "OBO" qualifier tacked on. Then let it sit at that price for at least a few months, and if you don't get any offers, knock a bit off of the asking price, repeating every few months until you get an offer.

On the other hand, if you're strapped for cash and want to sell it as quickly as possible, start with a lower asking price and knock a bit off every few weeks until you get an offer.

And if you just want to get rid of it and don't care about the money, give it to a family member, friend, coworker, etc. as a gift. :)
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline metsasarv

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 08:56:18 AM »
Hi

Check  on Ebay and there are sold listings. I always look at when I  searching  for a real sales value.
Of course, it is also affected by whether it is willing to send the goods, even if abroad, etc.
s750, Roli Rise49

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 11:03:36 AM »
Used PSR-3000 in good to excellent condition currently sells for $500 to $700.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline RetroDuo

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 06:05:29 PM »
OK, let's make a deal now.

Although  i don't know the condition of your 3K board

I'll pay you 2 pounds and you pay the shipping costs.  Deal ?

Placing a value on something you own is tough because in reality the market sets the price and with electronic gear the age of the electronic gear is a huge factor.  The older the gear the selling price goes down down down to nearly zero.   Let's say that  after you buy it used  the power supply goes wonkey or that display screen goes south where do get replacements  for those two significant parts ?

Two pounds of gold and it's a deal. 8)

Offline RetroDuo

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 06:07:55 PM »
Still holding on to the PSR 3000. Thinking about selling it and the S770 and making a move to the 970. Opinions?

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 08:19:05 PM »
Back in 2004 I purchased a used PSR 2000 for $500 on ebay. I know the PSR 3000 was a workhorse of a keyboard but it is old and if you need a part to fix it ... it won't be fixable, due to no replacement part are available. I couldn't get my PSR2000 fixed back in 2015. Anyone purchasing the keyboard is taking that risk.

These keyboards are not like Guitars which go up in value with time .. they always go down in value. I figure at best a 10 year life, if you are really playing it daily.

The PSR-S910 came out in September of 2009, PSR-S950 came out in December 2012 and the PSR-S970 came out in November of 2015. You can see a pattern here of 3 years and a new PSR model is due in 2018. Instead of going from a S770 to a S970, get yourself a new PSR model in 2018 with most likely an improved Vocal Harmony, greatly improved Pedal Steel Guitar, new TOGGLE lever for string bending and a touch screen. Of course it will be a bit more in cost than the S970 if that is not a issue, I think it would be worth the wait.

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:21:20 PM by DrakeM »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 04:57:41 AM »
Still holding on to the PSR 3000. Thinking about selling it and the S770 and making a move to the 970. Opinions?

Don't. There is a difference between S770 and S970, but if you weren't impressed by the S770 I doubt the S970 will move you either.
S770

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 05:20:08 AM »
Hello all,

I have also replaced my PSR 3000 with a PSR S770. The money I've got for the 3K was exactly half the money I gave for the S770.

I have to agree with Derek here: "if you weren't impressed by the S770 I doubt the S970 will move you either".

For me was the best move I could ever make, very happy with it.
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR S770  8)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 08:13:37 AM »
... I will probably set a high reserve, maybe $800 bucks, or so. If it doesn't sell, I will keep it.

I had to sell my S910 for $800.00 USD a couple of years ago.  So good luck with that.

;D

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Toril S

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 08:29:04 AM »
Keep your 3000. Always good to have a backup keyboard. I kept my 2100.
Toril S

PSR S970, PSR 2100 and PSR-47.

http://psrtutorial.com/perf/torilSusegg.html

Offline RetroDuo

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 09:50:26 AM »
Back in 2004 I purchased a used PSR 2000 for $500 on ebay. I know the PSR 3000 was a workhorse of a keyboard but it is old and if you need a part to fix it ... it won't be fixable, due to no replacement part are available. I couldn't get my PSR2000 fixed back in 2015. Anyone purchasing the keyboard is taking that risk.

These keyboards are not like Guitars which go up in value with time .. they always go down in value. I figure at best a 10 year life, if you are really playing it daily.

The PSR-S910 came out in September of 2009, PSR-S950 came out in December 2012 and the PSR-S970 came out in November of 2015. You can see a pattern here of 3 years and a new PSR model is due in 2018. Instead of going from a S770 to a S970, get yourself a new PSR model in 2018 with most likely an improved Vocal Harmony, greatly improved Pedal Steel Guitar, new TOGGLE lever for string bending and a touch screen. Of course it will be a bit more in cost than the S970 if that is not a issue, I think it would be worth the wait.

Regards
Drake

I was able to get a repair done, on the electronics of my 3000 but it took a while for the tech to get the parts and it was expensive. $450, if I recall correctly.

Offline RetroDuo

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 09:53:23 AM »
Don't. There is a difference between S770 and S970, but if you weren't impressed by the S770 I doubt the S970 will move you either.

I like everything about the 770, except that it doesn't have the vocal capabilities, such as auto-harmonies, that I enjoyed, in the 3000. It wasn't an issue, when I had a three-piece band, but currently I have a two-piece and sometimes perform solo.

Offline ekurburski

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2017, 11:10:08 AM »
I just purchased a PSR3000 a couple months ago.  Loaded with all kinds of extra stuff form 10 years of performance.  Paid $500 +s&h.  Best buy of my life.  I am having a real time trying to learn the system.  I hadn't touched the 740 in a couple of years so I am a little rusty.  Getting it back together as I plan on playing some nursing home gigs in the very near future.

Earl
PSR740, PSR3000, tx7, mt32, mirage, ProTiools 10,11 Sonar,  Reaper, BIAB2018 an a 4' stack of computer Music mags

Offline psrguy

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2017, 12:28:15 PM »

Congratulations on your purchase Earl.

You have joined the elite group of PSR3000 owners/users.  Welcome aboard my fellow musician.

My PSR3000 was purchased used about 10 years ago ( that's guy years ) and  barely used by the original owner.   He sold within months to upgrade.

I use my PSR3 at home and gigging at nursing homes.  It's a sturdy instrument well built for gigging.

I prefer to perform in the Alzheimer sections of our local nursing homes.   It's always amazing to me and  especially the nursing staff when these people hear music and come to life from the sounds of music. 

Have fun and happy gigging.  Perhaps you could update us on your experiences in gigging at the nursing homes.

Offline RetroDuo

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2017, 08:12:18 PM »
I just purchased a PSR3000 a couple months ago.  Loaded with all kinds of extra stuff form 10 years of performance.  Paid $500 +s&h.  Best buy of my life.  I am having a real time trying to learn the system.  I hadn't touched the 740 in a couple of years so I am a little rusty.  Getting it back together as I plan on playing some nursing home gigs in the very near future.

Earl

Retirement, assisted living and nursing homes were where I got my start, as a solo artist, 14 years ago. It was great fun and some of the best audiences I have experienced. Let me know, if you need any help building your repertoire. Mine is about 600 tunes now and some of them are geared toward that audience.

The following users thanked this post: psrguy

Offline ekurburski

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2017, 07:06:15 AM »
ty psrguy & retrodude for your replys.

I retired from Army Bands (trombone, baritone player0 in 1992 and moved to Arkansas in 93. At the time I had a psr500 that I giged with a 3 pice combo.  played servic clubs etc.  Got involved in other things and started my own music store in 94-95.  Sold Yamaha arrangers in the store.  Top of the line at the time was 9000.  My store had only 9000 in 500 miles at the time.  When I closed the store, I kept a 740 for myself but never giged with it.  Got into messing with BIAB and ProTools ect.  Mountain Home is a small town in north central Arkansas that until just recently was in a dry county so there where no bar gigs.  A few months ago I was on here reading different posts and someone mentioned that he has been workin the nh circuit for several years.  So dumb me, (I had no idea what the nh circuit was0 I started asking questions.  Gary Diamond gave me a complete rundown of what the situation was so I decided to look into it.  WEll we have avout 50 such nursing homes, assisted living  outfits within 50 miles of me. 

About 6 weeks ago I fell out of my bed and broke 4 ribs and ended up spending 3 weeks in a rehabilitation unit.  Was able to see what entertainment they had coming in and relized I could do better.  Spoke with the Activity Director and she idicated she was interested.  So..  I had just purchased Gary's 3000 before this.  i NOW HAVE A bEHINGER pa500 for a pa.  Got a throne to set on etc.  Still getting things together equipment wise but just about there.  Before I was lin Army I payed single organ gigs in Ocean City Md.  So I have reprotorire.  I just need to adapt it to the nursing home and to the 3000. 

I honesty think I will be able to play out after the first of the year.  I will let you all know how its going as I get into it.

Earl "Kirby" Kurburski
PSR740, PSR3000, tx7, mt32, mirage, ProTiools 10,11 Sonar,  Reaper, BIAB2018 an a 4' stack of computer Music mags

Offline psrguy

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2017, 09:50:40 AM »

Hi Earl,

Wow !  Now that is what i call a pain in the studio.

I will not be clicking the " LIKE " button on your post because that news is not what i liked to hear/read.

I hope all goes well with your recovery however do not rush yourself and possibly undo all the long hours of therapy it takes to recover from such a serious incident.  It is also tougher to recover as we age.

Just a little bit of center here, since you are a horn player i'm sure you have heard of Chet Baker the
American jazz trumpeter, flugelhornist and singer.  I am currently watching the movie Born to Be Blue (2015) a re-imagining of jazz legend Chet Baker's musical comeback in the late '60s.  Well worth the time watching this movie.  If you have a chance take a look at it.

Take care of yourself Earl.