Author Topic: Tyros 2 - Dead Keys  (Read 2157 times)

Offline tyros2fiji

Tyros 2 - Dead Keys
« on: April 26, 2016, 09:44:29 PM »
Hi All,

My Name is Ronald and i work for an IT Solutions Provider here in Fiji.

Our Director has had this Tyros 2 for quiet some time now. This is for his personal use at his residence and is mostly used by him.
Recently the LCD gave up [Faded away and dimmed out] thus he imported one off Australia.
The New LCD fixed this issue [easy fix, LCD panel was tilted up and opened by by removing screws in the rear panel] however, after switching on the keyboard we noticed that the A and D# keys are not working all throughout the keyboard. the whole keyboard wasn't opened until this time.

After research online i discovered that this can be caused by dirt/ dust/ etc in the keys section. thus we stripped open the keys set and did a thorough clean.. I also removed the soft pads[5 of those] ensuring i do not mix them. i cleaned each of them separately as well as the whole board. i used CRC Co-Contact cleaner to clean the board. Ensuring that all the 3 board are thoroughly dried i reinstalled the soft pads, each back to their original place and put back everything together.

The below mentioned thread helped a lot in this:
http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=17972.0

To my dismay, the issue wasn't solved. Following this i opened up the keys section again and i checked all soldering connection on the top 2 PCBs and just to be certain i have renewed all soldering. (remove old soldering and re soldered the solder joints.

unfortunately this also hasn't solved the problems. i have also tried to reset the keyboard but to no avail.

I should mention that i am a qualified electrical and electronics serviceman. i have carried out numerous repairs and installation in high voltage and low voltage electrical/electronics. This is the first time i have worked on a Tyros 2.

i welcome your suggestions on how fix this issue. i have a feeling that the lower smaller PCB could have some issues.

please PM me or email me on ronald.kumar@gem.com.fj.

hoping to hear from you experts out there.

cheers
Ronald

Offline EileenL

Re: Tyros 2 - Dead Keys
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 04:16:20 AM »
Have you tried replacing the rubber strips under the keys. They can ware and stop the notes sounding.

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 04:25:12 AM »
It must be one of the cables that links the keys to the board?  :(
One friend also had an entire octave not working after disassembly /reassembly the keyboard.

Good luck!
Cris
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR S770  8)

Offline tyros2fiji

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 03:52:15 PM »
Have you tried replacing the rubber strips under the keys. They can ware and stop the notes sounding.

Hi Eileen,

No i have not. Access to spares are limited here in Fiji. id have to order those in from Australia.

what are the chances of the same keys contact/buttons/pads of each octave failing all throughout the keyboard.

thanks
Ronald

Offline tyros2fiji

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 03:55:45 PM »
It must be one of the cables that links the keys to the board?  :(
One friend also had an entire octave not working after disassembly /reassembly the keyboard.

Good luck!
Cris

Thanks Cris,

i will disassemble the whole thing again today and hope to take some snaps to show how its layed out. dont really see any cables linking the keys to the board. there are 3 board in total in the keys section. 2 of which hosts the Keys itself. Board one is connected to board 2, and board 3 sits just below board 2.

Need the luck  :)

cheers
Ronald

Offline tyros2fiji

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 09:47:50 PM »
Hi All,

So here is what i think is the cause of the problem.
i have been advised to try a re-flow using a Heat Gun to see if that fixes it. If a re-flow doesn't fix it than i might need to order in one from Australia.