Author Topic: New DGX?  (Read 5080 times)

Offline Dimi.D

New DGX?
« on: January 11, 2016, 12:13:33 AM »
Hello all,

Has anybody heard anything about a new dgx coming soon on market?

I own now a psr s650 and I would like to move to 88 hammerd action so that I could also start learning the piano but without loosing the functions of an arranger. So, I think that the dgx models are the best solution for me.

Thanks

Dimi.D.
Psr S650, Psr EW400

Offline guitpic1

Re: New DGX?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 12:34:58 AM »
Hello Dimi

The DGX 650 has only been on the market a little over two years from what I can figure out.  Perhaps there will be some info at NAMM?

For the money, I've been very impressed with our DGX 650.
guitpic1

PA 4X, S970, DGX650, JBL Eon One, SSV.3, DXR10

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 04:40:14 AM »
Stylewise, the DGX 650 is comparable with a psr s-430 and the like...

I would agree with this.  Styles are basic.
guitpic1

Offline Dimi.D

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 07:52:53 AM »
Psr S650, Psr EW400

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 09:37:14 PM »
I'm no piano expert, but I sure like the action on our DGX 650....lots of keyboard for the money.  I did a comparison on Yamaha's website, the DGX 650 vs. the 660 and could find next to no differences in the two keyboards.

We're I in the market today, I would probably buy the 660, just because it's the latest.  But if I could get a good deal on the 650, I would give serious consideration.

Korg's Havian 30 is well worth a look as well.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 09:38:33 PM by guitpic1 »
guitpic1

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 11:58:15 PM »
I saw Yamaha launched a new one.

Jeff
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 11:59:19 PM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 02:44:56 AM »
I did a comparison on Yamaha's website, the DGX 650 vs. the 660 and could find next to no differences in the two keyboards.

There are not a lot of differences between the DGX-640 and DGX-650, either, so a used DGX-640 would also be a good choice if the price is right.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 08:54:59 AM »
There are not a lot of differences between the DGX-640 and DGX-650, either, so a used DGX-640 would also be a good choice if the price is right.

the piano room feature that is huge
It also has a microphone input
And a much better screen.
You can play styles directly from USB
And some more.

Sadly styles only have support for the low end 2 variation type of styles, which does not really quallify it as a true arranger/stagepiano. Its more like the Casio's, a home piano with some styles to play around with, but nothing serious.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 08:59:10 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N8BuhmP2nc

This video explains all the differences.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 09:33:12 PM »
the piano room feature that is huge
It also has a microphone input
And a much better screen.
You can play styles directly from USB
And some more.

Sadly styles only have support for the low end 2 variation type of styles, which does not really quallify it as a true arranger/stagepiano. Its more like the Casio's, a home piano with some styles to play around with, but nothing serious.

Tx for the link Spirit.

FWIW, the 650 plays styles directly from USB, I've done it. At least when I plugged a USB stick in the 650, styles showed up on the styles button at style 196...I think it was. 

I didn't see a difference in screen from 650 - 660?

Hammered action, reason for me buying, and sound reproduction...no change.   In any case style functions are limited...no big deal to me...that's not why I bought the 650.

Also that that wireless dongle runs about $125.   :P
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:51:09 PM by guitpic1 »
guitpic1

Offline Dimi.D

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 12:26:48 AM »
Is there any way for us to know if the styles on 660 are exactly the same as those on 650?

Thanks

Dimi
Psr S650, Psr EW400

Offline gogo

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 01:22:44 AM »
Looks good. However, truth been told, the internals are not much more advanced than the DGX-305 I had in the early 2000s. Still 2 variations/1 intro /1 ending per style, limited choice of styles, monochromatic display, still only a handfull of live! cool! and sweet! voices.

However,
+ one can plug in a microphone
+ records WAV to the USB
+ piano room?
+ connects to an iPad - from where music can be streamed and played along

A fantastic very good home keyboard for beginners. Had it had a colour display, I'd say it were fantastic!

I am left with the feeling if I wanted something with more presence (4 vars/3 intros/3 endings, lotta live! sweet! cool! voices) I'd have to go far up with the Clavinova CVP. And there is the huge price difference: DGX-660 at 750 Euros, CVP-701 at 2500+ Euros. Guess what, I am really gonna check out those new CVPs at the Musikmesse in April. Especially now that they have the CVP-709GP (> 11000 Euros)

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 02:44:56 AM »
The manuals were posted on January 28th, although I just noticed them. I haven't looked at what the differences are yet.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Dimi.D

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 04:23:27 AM »

Funny thing is, that the lowest price I could find for a 640 on ebay in Germany where I live, was 640 euros. When the price for a new 650 is about the same.
And price for a preorder on 660 is at the moment is 799 and it will deffinately go a bit more down after a while.
Psr S650, Psr EW400

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 05:09:29 AM »
Hi, I got the DGX 640 for one year, resold it and bought the DX 650 a few months ago.

Here are some of the differences and similarities betwen the three digital piano's DGX 640-650-660 :

DGX 650 and 660 have the Natural! piano voice coming frol the Clavinova's, which is much better than the various Live! piano's found on the three keyboards.

All three keyboards can read styles directly from an USB stick, but the number they can "recognise" is limited to about one hundred.

As from the Data list, the various piano voices seem to be absolutely the same for the DGX 650 and 660. The only issue about the piano voices is to check with Yamaha whether they recorded more samples for the "Piano Room", or if they just achieve the Piano Room feature through applying some effects on the samples. For instance, I'd like to know whether they recorded various samples for each piano voice with the lid opened, half-closed and closed, or if this is achieved only through using effects and filters.

All three keyboards have a MIDI six-tracks recorder (including one track for the styles). The DGX 650 and 660 also have an audio recorder, capable to record WAV files in the keyboard memory or directly on an USB stick, which is really convenient (I have already done this and the sound quality is as good as when you are playing live on the keyboard).
On top of that, the DGX 660 can record a vocalist or an acoustic instrument from a microphone input. You can record a voice or an acoustic instrument on the DGX 650, too, but to that effect, you would have to plug a microphone preamp in the Aux-in port of the keyboard, whereas, for the DGX 660, the microphone port is onboard.

The DGX 640 has a polyphony of 64 voices, which is a little tiny for piano playing, especially if you are going to use more than one voice a a time, use the sustain pedal or the arranger functions of the keyboard. The DGX 650 has a polyphony of 128 voices, which is enough for a home digital piano IMHO, and the DGX 660, a polyphony of 192 voices, which is very generous for a piano in that price range.

For what I have seen, keyboard action and screen are exactly tthe same on the three keyboards: great keyboard action if you are a pianist ; the screen just "does the job" but is usable.

The DGX 650 has about 50 more styles thant the DGX 650, which has 195 onabarod style ; the DGX 660 has 205 styles (10 more). It is true that these styles have only one intro, two mains and one ending, but they sound fine and there are many "modern" styles among them, I would personnaly not compare the styles you find on the DGX 65 / 660 with those of the PSR 430, this seems unfair. Forinstance, I got a PSR S550 for a few months and did not like it at all. Although the styles had 3 intro's and endings and for mains, I found that on this keyboard, many styles where pretty outdated, and thus not usable.

As for the new voices, I have no checked the differences between the DGX 650 and 660 yet. I just noticed that the DGX 660 got the Sweet! Classical Flute, which the DGX 650 does not have - this is a great addendum, this classical flute is really nice for a lot of usages, I like it much better thant the Sweet! Flute.

Yamaha does not speak extensively about this (after all, they want to sell you the new DGX 660, they don't want you to buy a new DGX 650 or an used DGX 640 at a bargain price), but I think that all three keyboard will work flawlessly with the Yamaha iOS Apps (SoundController, ScaleTuner, ChordTracker etc.), which should actually work with any MIDI or XG capable keyboards - please if you know moree about this, do tell me!

I had a PSR E433, which I am sorry I sold beccause of its arpeggiator, the possibility to mute the style tracks individually and the "synth" functions it had, and also my old PSR S550 which I resold after a few months because I could start nothing with it, and I have been very happy with the DGX 640 and lately with the DGX 650 since.

If you reallly want to play the piano as such in any style (classical, Pop/Rock, Jazz, Blues...), want to record yourself easily, want some non-too-sophisticated arranging capabilities on top of that and don't want to cut one arm and one leg to buy a Clavinova, don't look further than the DGX 650 / 660 (I'd say right now, go for the DGX 650, except if you are a singer or work with a singer, because then the microphone input could come in handy).

If I were you, I'd go for the DGX 650. The DGX 640 is a bit outdated because of its polyphony of only 64 voices, because it is unable to record audio, and because it does'nt have the Natural! Grand voice, which is really outsatnding as compareed with the other piano's available on the three instruments. The DGX 660 has just come onto the market, so you could probably get a brand new DGX 650 with full warranty for a bargain price if you buy one of the lasts in stock at your local music store.

And: if the DGX series seems too limited for you, and the Calvinova's too expensive (not to mention the fact that you cannot really move a Clavinova), for about twice the price of the DGX 660, you could go for the Korg Havian 30, which is a great, portable digital piano with a fully-fledged arranger AND synth inside (it has the full possibilities of the PA-300, with a great piano sample on top of that, and the styles and sounds are fully editable) and since it has been around for some time now you could find one second-hand for an interesting price.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Vinciane

Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

Offline Dimi.D

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 06:53:49 AM »
WOW Vinciane!!!

I don't even know how to express my gratitude for taking the time to write such a detailed and meaningfull review for those keyboards!
You have made everything so clear for me now and I think I have everything I need to make a decision.

I would love to have a Havian, but it is a bit expensive for me.

I think I 'm going to forget about 640, unless I find a very good deal.

The 650 looks like more than enough, although my daughter is singing quite well, and I am tempted from the microphone input on 660...

Today, I saw a new input on ebay, of someone that is selling a white 6 months used 650, in perfect condition, according to the seller, with the extra 3 pedals, for only 550 euros!
I have to do some quick thinking I guess...

Again thank you very much for your information.
I might bother you again at the near future, if i end up buying one of those keyboards and if i come up with any more questions...if thats ok with you...

warm regards

Dimi
Psr S650, Psr EW400

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 08:10:22 AM »
Hi Dimi,

At that price, I wouldn't think it over for too long. If the keyboard is not too far away from your home, why don't you go there and give it a try ?

N.B.: I bought mine in November new (grade B ; it was a customer return with full warranty) for 650 , so for 550 dollars for a keyboard in perfect condition, you probably can't go wrong. And if you buy the pedals separately, it is about 75 / $ more I think, so it adds something to the bargain.

Please keep us informed of your final choice,

Best Regards and good luck,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

Offline Dimi.D

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 11:23:44 PM »
Well, I was not fast enough.
It was only natural with such a good price.

But i am sure another good oportunity will come in time.
If not, I 'll wait for April and go for the 660.

Regards

Dimi
Psr S650, Psr EW400

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 05:24:29 AM »
Hello,

Never owning a Dgx  before acquired the 650 a few months ago, I am totally impressed.   Already have the 970 and tyros 5 which
have audio recording capabilities so not in market for a 660 with microphone.  I certainly would like to try to record a midi file
on the 650 and transfer it to play on either machine for vocal recording purposes.  Also would like to try out the recording
functions and registrations but have been so totally taken with the piano action and sound , that just doing the piano has impeded
any other experimentation.   The one thing am thrilled is that when one plays full keyboard piano  with a style, the sound volumes
and qualities fit right in.   Have tried numerous times to do that on the keyboards but somehow the lower tones are overpowering.
When the Tyros came out with 76 keys I opted for the 61 keys and actually regretted that decision as really miss piano playing.
However, blessing in disguise is that when sat down and played the 650 in the music store, that was the end of any regrets of
not getting the 76 key tryos .  Thankfully my husband concurred , we got a sweet deal on the machine . 
All in all, if piano playing and getting that key action is your main goal, than this 650 is a blast and you do have so many other
features, like reg. style files,, multi track,, USB  etc.   
I am over missing my acoustic Baldwin that I left in Denmark.   Hope this post helps in getting what one wants and needs.

all the best
cheers
elaine
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:26:54 AM by motekmusic »
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline Dimi.D

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 09:54:49 AM »
Hello Elaine,

Thanks for your input, it was very helpfull.
And now I have a confession to make...

I am not much of a piano player. Below amateur I would say.
I have been just messing around with keyboards, on and off, all my life, and it was only recently that I happened to buy a psr s650 and start learning a bit more about chords, note reading and arranger functions.

But my wife, just wouldn't like any of those backround styles and she only wanted to listen to me, when I was playing piano sound only.

On 31st of December, my 50 years old wife passed away after being diagnosed with lung cancer, just 42 days before that.

It's not the place or the time for me, to start saying how devastated I have been all those last months, but I have to say this, hoping that I can help some of the people that are reading this post:

I was happily maried 22 years with this amazing woman.
During those years we gave birth to and raised 3 wonderfull kids.
We never had "enough" money and were always straggling with the everyday's cares and responsibillities.
As result, we left many things that we wanted to do, undone.

Now, my reaction to what happend to my wife, is that I am trying to do all those things that we always postponed.
Others might had reacted differently.
Some would fall in depression.
Some would start drinking.
Or anything else...

But me?
I went and buy a new washing machine that my wife was asking me for the last few months, and I wouldnt do it because "money not enough".
I changed the tab on our kitchen that was leaking.
And, not to waste your time, other things like that.

And of cource now I want to learn and play only piano.

I know it doesn't really make sence.
But somehow, it makes me feel better and it helps me cope with the pain that I ' m going through all those months.

Why am I saying those things you might ask.

Well, I have an advice for you:

Dont do the same!
Dont let the time go by, postponing things that you or your loved ones desire.
We seem to think that we will be here for ever and that there is always time for whatever we wish.

You all know what I mean.
And myself, have many times seen those messeges saying staff like " live your everyday like your last" but I would just pay no attention.
Now, I wish I had done many things differently.
But for my wife, its too late.

I am trying to pass this message to my kids and to everyone I know and speak with.

Please dont get me wrong and forgive me if I got a bit carried away.

Regards

Dimi.D.
Psr S650, Psr EW400