Author Topic: Tyros 2 select buttons on led screen not working.  (Read 1964 times)

rlabak

Tyros 2 select buttons on led screen not working.
« on: November 22, 2015, 06:18:51 PM »
Hi Folks,
              On my tyros 2 some of the right and left hand buttons on the led screen are no longer working(they don't select, I have to use the enter button next to the data wheel now). I believe this maybe due to the usage that I have put this board through over the years. Has anyone ever
repaired this part of the Tyros 2? Do you have to swap out the whole screen or can the contacts be replaced somehow?  Big job? Little Job? I was also looking to get a copy of the Tyro2 service manual and I saw a link in this forum but it doesn't work. I'm a pretty handy person when it comes to repairing things. I just don't want to start taking this board apart and get in over my head since I don't have a second one. There is no Yamaha service place in my area so I would have to ship this to Yamaha which is what I'm trying to avoid.
Any advise or suggestions on this would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rick

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Tyros 2 select buttons on led screen not working.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 12:59:47 AM »
Hi Rick,

I don't have a Tyros2, but looking at the service manual, the switches are mounted on two circuit boards in the display panel housing.  To get at them you need to split the keyboard case in half, then remove the display from the upper half of the case, and remove the rear cover of the display housing.  You can then see and remove if necessary the two circuit boards containing the switches.

The Service Manual gives instructions for disassembling the unit, and part numbers if you need to order them.

I think that the switches on Tyros models are small enclosed ones soldered to the board, so I don't know if you would be able to clean them in any way, but you may be able to squirt a plastic friendly contact cleaner into them and work them to try to clean the contacts.  Failing that you would probably need to replace the two circuit boards.

I don't know which part of the world you are in, but as an example, in the USA the parts are listed on the Yamaha 24X7 spares website at around $80 US each, but Yamaha's policy and prices on supplying spares to customers seems to be set at a regional level so the prices could be different in your location!

I don't know where you have already tried to get the Tyros2 Service Manual from, but the link below is working.  Read my notes below the link about downloading!

http://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_trs-ms02_tyros2_sm.pdf/download.html

If you use the link there is one thing to watch out for. Don't click on the first thing that you see!

Instead scroll down the page until you see the text under the Preview box on the left side of the page which shows the manual, that initially says...

"This file is downloadable free of charge: ...processing...
You are not logged in, only 2 downloads per day possible for you.)"

Wait until this changes to...

"This file is downloadable free of charge: Get Manual".     Get Manual  is actually a link that you should click to actually start the download.

I have not had a problem downloading from this site using the above guidelines.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 01:03:03 AM by tyrosaurus »

rlabak

Re: Tyros 2 select buttons on led screen not working.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 09:06:25 AM »
Ian,  Thanks so much for taking the time to write this up. It was very helpful. I'm downloading the manual now and I'll see what it take to get at those circuit boards. I'll then give Yamaha a call on the part numbers.
Thanks Again.
Rick