Author Topic: UPDATE ON PSR 3000 MALFUNCTION  (Read 4359 times)

Offline reyguel

UPDATE ON PSR 3000 MALFUNCTION
« on: June 07, 2015, 08:42:29 PM »
Hello ,

A couple of years ago I wrote here about a malfunctioning PSR 3000. I received a lot of responses and I'm thankful for your input. Some didn't understand what I was trying to describe as being wrong. It is still malfunctioning . I have recently replaced the DM board but it still malfunctioned on me during church service. The repair people couldn't find a cold solder joint(s) on the board that house the power supply and I have a new adaptor. The plug in the back didn't seem loose either. Here's a link to a youtube video that shows exactly whats going on.

https://youtu.be/pjfJ8_rOKZM

You may have to copy and paste the link in the address box.

Thanks for all advice and input

Offline Bill Grosse

Re: UPDATE ON PSR 3000 MALFUNCTION
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 07:03:57 AM »
Did it work for a while after you replaced the DM board????

If it did, then it is still the new DM board and possibly another component is causing the DM board to fail.

I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 08:30:44 AM »
I agree with Bill.

Gary
Love Those Yammies...

Offline reyguel

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 08:28:03 PM »
It did work for awhile but it returned to the malfunctioning issue.  I talked to Steve Deeming after I wrote the message. He said that the last time I sent it to them they , as a courtesy to me, replaced everything in the keyboard.i practically had a new keyboard. He believes its my adaptor that's causing the issue. But its a new adaptor. He said that when its on the floor it tends to overheat.  He suggested that I strap it around the metal leg of my keyboard stand to act like a heatsink. Is there a heat sink I can buy for the adaptor available? What causes the adaptor to overheat ? Could it cause the problem I'm having? What position should I have the master volume at? I usually have it at the 12 o'clock position. Is that too high? I know this is a lot of questions for you but I am trying and researching everything I can. Thanks for the help.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 10:46:47 PM »
Hi reuguel,

The PA-300 Ac adaptor is rated at 16 Volt DC, 2.4 Amp which is around 38 W.

The speakers/amplifiers on the 3000 are rated at 12 W per channel, so if you plug in a set of headphones and turn the master volume right down, that should turn off the speakers and significantly reduce the power demand from the AC adaptor.

If the problem still persists then it doesn't really tell you anything, but if it disappears then maybe the AC adaptor is the problem.

You say that the AC Adaptor is new, but is is a genuine Yamaha PA-300 (or later equivalent PA-300C)?

Perhaps you could send it to Yamaha for them to check out on another keyboard. If Steve Deming thinks that the AC Adaptor is the problem, then surely he shouldn't have a problem with this!

Regards

Ian 

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 05:27:30 AM »
I know this sounds strange, but a low voltage on your mains can cause the power adapter to overheat.

Do you live in an area having power brown outs?

Having said that - if the problem occurs when you first turn on the keyboard after it has been off overnight, then it is not because the power adapter is overheating as it must be on for a while to reach that kind of temp.

Also, a brand new adapter can be defective right out of the box - aside from the keys and buttons, it is the hardest working component of the keyboard.  ;)

I would ask Steve Deming if there is a more powerful adapter available, which would not need to produce as much heat.

Bil G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline Rudi

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 11:05:48 PM »
Hi Reyguel,

Sorry to haer about the problem you experience with your PSR 3000. I agree with you that it is a great keyboard and that you should try to have it repaired rather than replacing it.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem. If you switch it on and the screen starts flashing, what is the condition of the rest of the keyboard? I see in the video that on initial start up, all the lights on the rest of the keyboard lights up as normal. Right after the initial start up, I assume that it is possible to play the keyboard as you mentioned. When the screen starts flashing on and off. What is the conditions of the rest of the keyboard? Is everything turned on and off with the screen? How about the lights on the rest of the keyboard? Are the notes also turned off?

Sorry for the many questions.

Regards

Rudi

Offline larry g.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 12:26:42 PM »
I have the same problem, my 3000 is 9yrs old and started doing this about 4 months ago, during a dance it stopped with people on the floor! I now have a s910 and the 3000  was my backup . 
Larry G

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 02:11:54 PM »
I purchased the first 3000 that became available in this part of the world, it has flawlessly performed every day of the week ever since. Never had a glitch or failure - ever.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline larry g.

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 02:40:31 PM »
 Hi Reyguel, I have the same problem, its doing exactly the same thing. Should I try and get it fixed or junk it  and get another keyboard.The 3000 was a good backup to my 910. Sounds like your expenses are quite high and your 3000 still isn't fixed
Larry G

Offline Denn

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 01:36:07 AM »
Hello, You have a faulty joint in your keyboard. I had the same problem many years ago. The repair shop could not find the joint because it is intermittent. The wire in the joint makes contact at first. then as it gets warm it bends away from the solder so breaking the joint. As it cools it makes the contact again. It took months to find this. If you try to find the joint all the other joints in the board can disguise this. The other problem is that the connection is only broken for a second or even less hence it is not easy to find. You have to re-make ALL the joints one at a time to get to the faulty one. Sorry to dishearten you but it seems that is the problem. Finally, a good repair man should be able to track down the small area where this may occur from the circuit diagrams. Let me know how you get on. Regards, Den.
Love knitting dolls

Offline reyguel

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 07:17:21 AM »
Well, folks . Its been over a year since I last spoke about mY PSR 3000 . Its still sitting in my closet collecting dust. Steve Deeming claimed he replaced all the boards inside the unit, yet it still malfunctions. How do you junk a keyboard properly? I've never had to throw away a board because of a mysterious malfunction that couldn't be found and repaired by the manufacturer. I'd like your opinion, though.  I saw a Yamaha S970 online as the alternative to the HIGHLY expensive Tyros 5.  How good are its voices and rhythms. Im saving money to get a new board but I want to get REALLY good one. Please give me your views ( pros and cons ) on the S970. Thanks.