Author Topic: MIDI file import track assignments question  (Read 1957 times)

adamsmc2001

MIDI file import track assignments question
« on: June 03, 2015, 12:03:56 AM »
Hello all.

Firstly, just wanted to say what a great site this as have learnt so much from it, thanks!!

My question.
I have some midi files which I created using the Notation4 software. This had 6 parts (bass, organ, strings, bass drum, snare, hi hat) to it.
When I transferred on to memory stick into PSR-S750 I could access the midi file ok. I wanted to reassign sounds to each track but in the mixer it looked like the 6 original part had been compressed into just 2 parts.  One track being just the hi hat and everything else going into the second track I think.

I am not sure if all the parts were being played or whether some of them are registered out of range if you know what I mean. It's not obvious in the mixing which channels have anything assigned to them (or maybe just the fact I don't know how to view that info).

Is there something I can do to keep the midi as 6 separate parts?

Before buying the PSR-s750 a few weeks ago I used to move the midi between Notation and my current studio DAW Studio. I would really like to be able to switch between PSR, Studio One and Notation as easily as possible.

many thanks
Mike

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: MIDI file import track assignments question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 04:34:54 AM »
Hi Mike,

I don't have Notation Composer, but looking at the 'Notation Composer 3 User Guide', I see that you can set the MIDI channel used for each individual staff.   Details can be found in the section 'Editing Staves and Formatting Parts'.  I assume that your version is similar. 

Bear in mind that although many notes may sound simultaneously on a given channel, only one keyboard voice can be selected for that channel at any one time.  You can of course change this voice throughout the song.

You should be able to have the bass drum, snare and hi hat drums on different staves if you wish, but Yamaha and GM normally use Ch 10 (main rhythm) and Ch 9 (sub rhythm) for drums.  You should be able to set all the drum staves that use the same keyboard voice to the same channel.

When you try a song on the 750, a simple way to see what channels have data in them is to load and start the MIDI song, then press the 'CHANNEL ON/OFF' button enough times to open the 'CHANNEL ON/OFF (SONG)' display.  This has a small box for each MIDI channel (1-16) and there is an indicator which lights in each when note messages are received.  You can also turn each channel on and off as required using the 1 to 8 buttons to work out what sound is coming from each channel.

You can see the actual data on each channel if you open 'Song Creator' and tab to the '1-16' page.  This only displays one channel at a time, cycling through them using the 'CH' button which on my Tyros4 is the F button.

If you open the Mixing Console's  '(Song CH 1-8)' or '(Song CH 9-16)' page you can see and change the levels and voices used by each channel. You can then save the song from Song Creator.

I saw a post on another forum which said that early versions of Notation saved MIDI files in the Type 1 format.  If this is still the case with your version, your keyboard should still play them, but if you save a song on the keyboard, it will be saved in Type 0 format.  I don't know if that will have any effect on the way it is displayed if you then load it into Notation.

Finally you could post one of the songs as an attachment to a reply and we can look at it to see what the problem might be.

Regards

Ian

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 04:52:08 AM »
If a type 0 MIDI file is loaded back into Notation it will split the channels into separate tracks. I don't have Notation Composer but I have Notation Player and that's how it behaves-- which I believe is the standard behavior when importing a type 0 SMF into a DAW or other music software.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 05:19:15 AM »
Hi Michael,

Yes, that is what happens in Cubase for example.

However I was meaning what if Mike had composed a song in Notation with the drums laid out on three different staves (as it seems he has done) but all using the same MIDI channel.  If the MIDI exported from the program was then changed on a Yamaha keyboard and saved, how would Notation display this?

Without knowing about Notation, it looks as if he would need to produce a '.not' file from Notation which it seems is what actually contains the 'notation' information including the details of what is on each staff rather than the '.mid' file.

I wish that I was creative enough to even require a notation program!   :'(

Regards

Ian

adamsmc2001

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 05:37:06 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input. There are some useful tips/advice. I shall see if I can grab some time this evening/ tomorrow to have another go. I was splitting the drum bits up in notation (as you can have them altogether as on instrument using drum notation ) in order for me to be able to mix each part separately. I have done this quite alot when transferring to Studio One but want to utilise the sounds and features of the PSR as well.
Thanks again all.

Have a good day.
Mike

Online Joe H

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 07:53:35 AM »
Be aware that there is a difference between "tracks" and "channels"  You can have several tracks assigned to the same MIDI channel.  If you want to load a file created in Notation 4 to your PSR, be sure that each track is assigned to a different MIDI channel.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

adamsmc2001

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 10:10:48 AM »
Many thanks Joe.

I think that's where I am getting confused (tracks / channels)  and why my tracks are being squashed together.

Much appreciated.

Mike