Author Topic: recording to hd recorder on Tyros 3  (Read 3683 times)

Offline mal10840

recording to hd recorder on Tyros 3
« on: May 02, 2015, 10:47:01 AM »
I am stumped yet again. I downloaded a couple of backing tracks, then converted them to wav, but when I go to select the tracks from the memory stick the HDR doesn't see them. I have perused the instructions and cant see I'm doing anything wrong

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: recording to hd recorder on Tyros 3
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 11:47:33 AM »
Hi, in spite of the title of your post, i am assuming that to simply want to play back wave audio files that are on a USB.

On a Tyros3 external audio files (such as on a USB stick) must first be 'Imported' onto the keyboard's internal hard disk before they can be selected for playback by the Hard Disk Recorder.

The files must be in the following format to work:

Stereo Wave data    (Mono will not work!)
44.1 kHz sample rate
16-bit resolution
A length of less than or equal to 80 minutes

You can read about Importing audio files starting on page 80 of the 'Tyros3 Reference Manual'.  Note this is not the 'Owner's Manual' and can be downloaded from the Yamaha Manual Library web site...   http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/result.php?div_code=emi    (Enter 'Tyros3' in the search box).   

Meanwhile here are brief instructions.

1   Insert the USB storage device (or connecting cable) to the USB TO DEVICE terminal on the Tyros3.
2   Press the HARD DISK RECORDER [SELECT] button to call up the AUDIO display.
3   Press the [8 ▼] (CHANGE MENU) button if necessary, then call up the Import function by pressing the [7 ▼] (WAVE IMPORT) button.
4   Select the desired device as a destination by using the TAB buttons. (e.g. USB1)
5   Press the [6 ▼] (IMPORT) button.
6   Select the desired audio file by using the [A][J] buttons.
7   At the prompt, press the [F] (YES) button.
8   Press the [EXIT] button to return to the AUDIO display.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:53:00 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline mal10840

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 03:46:01 PM »
thanks Ian but its the importing that I can't make happen. The wav file is on the memory stick but when I select that, the file doesn't show so I can't import it.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 05:18:52 PM »
First you need to check the file on a computer in something like Windows Explorer, initially to make sure that it has the correct '.wav' file extension at the end of the name.  Although the Tyros OS only checks for the correct extension of files to display on many of it's selection screens, I think that on the Import screen it actually checks the contents of audio files, so even if the extension looks OK, it might still not display it.

If the extension looks OK the problem is likely to be with the format of the file itself.

Note that not all .wav formats are the same.  Yamaha arrangers will only work with Microsoft 16 bit (signed) PCM wave files, and they must be stereo and have a sample rate of 44100 Hz. 

The 'Properties' function of Windows Explorer will not show you the sample rate, but the 'Details' tab will at least show you the Audio 'Bit Rate', which for a stereo file of the correct wav format should be 1411 kbps, so that is an indicator that you could use.

What software did you use to convert the original file that you downloaded from the internet?  Check to see if has options for setting the format of wav files.

Regards

Ian

Offline mal10840

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 03:44:47 AM »
hi Ian,      The only thing I can see as a problem is the bit rate. When I convert to Wav I put in a required bit rate of 44100 but when I check properties of the download the bit rate shows as 1411kps. I've tried several times but it is always the same. I am using On Line Convert.

Regards Roger

Offline mal10840

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 09:25:20 AM »
Back again after more attempts.    Reduced the length of the file name. The name now shows on the select list.  Now after selecting the file to import, it attempts to record it but doesn't complete and I get the message  'Disk Error'. When I look at the properties on the HDR, the bit sample rate seems OK at 44.1 kHz, but the  time is 00.

Offline mal10840

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 11:40:11 AM »
Sorted it , thankyou for help.
Is it possible to control volume of Hard disk recorder on the volume pedal??

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 01:17:35 PM »
Hi Mal,

I see that you have now sorted the problem.    ;D    What was wrong with the file?

I should have mentioned about the length of the file name in my first reply.  It needs to be less than 50 characters total including the four characters used for the final '.wav' extension. This leaves 46 characters for the actual name assuming that you don't include an icon code which would reduce the available characters further to 41 maximum.  If the name is too long the OS doesn't list it!

The 'kbps' rate is actually the data stream rate and is not the same as the sample rate although the two are related.
For data sampled at 44100 Hz into 16 bits for two channels, the data will generate 44100 x 16 x 2 =  1411200 bits per second which is effectively 1411 kbps  (at least that's how I think it works  ???). So the file may well be converted to the correct sample rate.

Regarding your question about assigning the audio player volume to a pedal, you can't do this I'm afraid although you can control the volume of the MIDI Song player.

The only simple thing that I can suggest is to use the assignable 'slider' on the panel.  Once set it should remain assigned until you change it, even through a power off/on cycle.  Note though that when the Organ Flutes display is open, this slider is 'hijacked' for the 16 foot drawbar, whatever function it is normally assigned to.

To change the function assigned to the 'ASSIGN' slider (default - Keyboard Volume), press [FUNCTION] > [D] CONTROLLER > TAB to ASSIGN SLIDER and select the function that you want.

This is then the same as adjusting the audio player volume by the other controls but is always at hand, although is not as convenient to use as a foot  controller.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:22:58 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline mal10840

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »
Hello Ian,            Thanks for all your help,it was very useful. Unfortunately at 75 yrs old it,s slow work finding different techniques that I havent  had to use previously.Going on hols  tomorrow so I'm pleased to have sorted out the keyboard.

Roger(Mal)