Author Topic: Question for Joe re RSS  (Read 5002 times)

fmeynell

Question for Joe re RSS
« on: January 23, 2006, 09:39:49 AM »
Joe - does the site support a RSS feed? I'm not a brilliant IT person but have been reading about how you can receive regular updates of new topics, News etc from RSS-supporting websites automatically.

I didn't know about it before but it would seem a great boon to receive these updates without logging on till you see something you're interested in. Or have I not understood what it does (quite likely). This is without doubt my absolute favourite website but I can't afford to have it as my homepage to keep checking to see what's new as I need other business pages for that (although it IS my home page on  my laptop which I use almost exclusively for PSR-related music.

Looked a good idea but I may have it all wrong of course!

All best

Freddie

Offline James Woodcock

Re: Question for Joe re RSS
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 01:47:01 AM »
http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?action=.xml;type=rss

As for homepages, you can use Mozilla Firefox browser which supports multiple tabbed homepages so you can open for example three sites at once on loading.

If you enter as your homepage in this application for example:

http://www.psrtutorial.com | http://www.yamahapkowner.com | http://www.yamaha-club.co.uk

It would load the three sites above and you can just tab along to the next, it works very well indeed.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 02:00:39 AM by James Woodcock »
My Yamaha Related News / Articles | My 'CD' of original music: Anticipation

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 06:56:18 AM »
Hi

I have just added 9 RSS feed music-related news providers to The Unofficial Yamaha Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha

Click the "World News" link in the right top corner of the page, and you will see how it works.

Regards
Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline James Woodcock

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 07:14:19 AM »
Feel free to add ours as long as you keep the links to the news items:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/ypko

Offline Joe W

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 11:35:19 AM »
I see from Jim's posting that RSS may, indeed, be part of this forum package, but it is an entirely new term to me.  I'm getting too old to keep up with all this new-fangled computer stuff  :-D !
-- Joe Waters
Tyros5
PSR Performer Page

Offline James Woodcock

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 11:38:32 AM »
It is Joe :)  If you need any info, send me a message:

jameswoodcock@yamahapkowner.com

fmeynell

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 09:50:36 AM »
Thanks James. Actually it was seeing it on your YPKO site that made me wonder if Joe had it on this site.

Now we know - it's very effective isn't it? I didn't know it before either.

Freddie

Offline James Woodcock

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 01:43:47 PM »
It is VERY useful for various things, mainly keeping track of latest posts etc.

Offline Joe W

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 08:17:47 PM »
I'm checking with Jim on just what I've got to do.
-- Joe Waters
Tyros5
PSR Performer Page

Offline tomtomsf

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 08:32:53 PM »
Hi

I have just added 9 RSS feed music-related news providers to The Unofficial Yamaha Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha

Click the "World News" link in the right top corner of the page, and you will see how it works.

Regards
Jørgen

Hi Jorgen

The NEWS button on your page does not work for me. A page pops up with this message on top:

"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below."

and that is followed by a page of html code, or something. I use Mozilla Firefox.

Tom G.
Tyros 4

Offline James Woodcock

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 01:16:01 AM »
I'm checking with Jim on just what I've got to do.

You dont really need to do anything Joe....  You just offer that link I posted earlier and members can insert it into a program that reads rss feeds.

Offline Joe W

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 09:50:23 PM »
I really am slow on the uptake, but tonight I thought I would spend some time looking at this RSS stuff.  In my "Admin" options there is, indeed, an option to turn RSS on and that option has been checked for quite some time.  But where was it for users????  After pursuing some links at James' site (yamahapkowner) about RSS, I read about RSS readers and finally wound up downloading one called RSS Bandit.  It came with a number of feeds that could be activated and a subscribe wizard for new subscriptions.  I tried the wizard and choose the option "I would provide a URL."  OK, for the URL, I tried "psrtutorial.com/forum"  -- didn't work.  I tried several other versiosn - no luck; could not detect a feed.  The admin help provided a clickable link that showed what the text might look like in the news feed and I tried copying that with all the accompanying gibberish -- didn't work.  I went to Simple Machines (the source of this BBS system) and searched on RSS.  I did find postings there asking how to turn on the feed and somebody provided a sample URL for Simple Machines.  I tried copying and pasting that into the RSS Bandit wizard -- and it DID work!  But that was a feed for Simple Machines not PSR TUtorial.  OK.  Just change the simiple machines part of the URL to PSR Tutorial equivalents and try that.  I did and IT WORKED.  Here's what I pasted in:

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/ndex.php?action=.xml;type=rss

I then went back to the start of this whole thread and, guess what?  That is exactly what James Woodcock posted way at the beginning of this thread!!  Of course, clicking on that link didn't do anything and, since I didn't know what to do with the link, problem was unsolved.  So, those of you who have an RSS feed software program already running on your PC probably have had the PSR Tutorial feed on for some time.  Now that I see how this works, I can add some of the other links James suggested.

You know, almost everybody walks around with a cell phone nowadays.  I don't and my wife, although she has one, doesn't often remember to take it.  New technology can be great, but sometimes, one wants to just escape it.  I don't carry a cell phone around because I don't want anyone to be able to call me wherever I am and whenever they want.  I suspect I have resisted jumping into this RSS not just because I've been busy, but because it's just another NEW thing to learn and I have 1,001 old things I haven't yet mastered!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 09:55:28 PM by JoeW »
-- Joe Waters
Tyros5
PSR Performer Page

Offline James Woodcock

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 01:24:22 AM »
I am glad you got it sorted Joe, maybe next time easier to contact me though to explain :)  If you have Skype and a PC headset, even better.

fmeynell

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 02:41:00 AM »
"it's just another NEW thing to learn and I have 1,001 old things I haven't yet mastered!"

Joe - I thoroughly sympathise and consequently feel rather guity having posted the question in the first place. :oops:

I am - as I'm sure you know - an ardent devotee of this site but there's a big learning curve on the KB's themselves without adding a whole lot of other stuff!

Anyway, thanks for investigating. Sorry to cause grief but at least I can add the site to my RSS feeder (not that I UNDERSTAND it - it just works!)

Best wishes :-)

Freddie

Kawai

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 03:12:09 AM »
Hi all!

I am a person who is a bit interested in 'puters and all. Nevertheless, there are times when one simply can't keep up with all the new stuff. (Joe, I know precisely what you mean.) I was reading this thread and thinking "What the heck are these people talking about?". So many familiar words, yet so many unfamiliar ones.

So I surfed to one of my fave websites (www.acronymfinder.com) and searched for RSS in hope of finding an explanation. Here are a few of the results (with comments in parentheses):
* Regiae Societatis Sodalis (Fellow of the Royal Society)  (Wehey, goes well together with this place!)
* Really Simple Syndication (Yama feature introduced in PSR 3100?)
* Rich Site Summary (Thank God it's not poor!)
* Rumplestiltskin (rump... what?)
* Rotating Service Structure (I feel dizzy already)
* Repetitive Strain Syndrome (This gotta be my right hand by now, a few months after acquiring my PSR)
* Roland Sound Space (Roland Music)  (OMG! Not on this site, we don't!!)
* Remote Slave Station (Phew! I wouldn't like one of those being close to my place)

Any of these match the one you guys are talking about? Could someone possibly give us with less knowledge a quick intro to RSS? Please.  :-) Unless - of course - you're talking about that Rumplestiltskin. *shudder* Sounds bad enough as it is.

Regards,
Kawai

Offline James Woodcock

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2006, 03:21:42 AM »

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 08:43:29 AM »
I don't think so! :roll:
I am retired and no longer have to answer the phone and it won't answer itself unless instructed to do so.
Even then it takes a message and I listen to it when I want to. :wink:

To me this is just another frm of spamm and you ask for it? :-o

I don't think so. :roll:
Sometimes I sure do miss the old simple DOS. :|

Bill
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

vall

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2006, 08:51:25 AM »
Hello
Talking about acronyms, what does PSR stand for?  In my case it's produces a strident racket but I suppose it's really something a bit more technical.
Vall