Author Topic: How to play an 11th chord on T3???  (Read 10816 times)

UK_63

How to play an 11th chord on T3???
« on: November 19, 2014, 07:41:55 AM »
It seems the Tyros has quite an arsenal of recognised chords but I can't seem to get it to recognise an 11th chord. It will do a minor 11th but not major. I'm just a bit confused

Of course I can get T3 to play a Minor 11th but not major - any ideas. Playing the notes with both hands reports it as Bb/C which I guess is as close as I'm going to get so I assume it's not possible with one hand?.....Need a B11 for Isn't she lovely by Stevie Wonder

Thanks all

Offline jwyvern

Re: How to play an 11th chord on T3???
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:58:41 AM »
Is the song in the key of C? The music is probably calling it an 11th chord (C11th?) because that is where the melody goes in that song and hence that has defined the accomp. as being an 11th - rightly or wrongly. But in this case  do you gain anything by trying to match the accomp. chord exactly with the melody?  A C Major accomp. would fit just as well or if you want more colour you can use CMaj7th or C7th.

No I wasn't able to find a major 11th using Fingered or AI Fingered modes, but that's not to say it's not there somewhere ;).

John

Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 10:07:06 AM »
Is this of any help to you       http://www.zebrakeys.com/lessons/advanced/chords/?id=48

Chord Formulas      http://www.smithfowler.org/music/Chord_Formulas.htm

Regards
Matrix   :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:08:25 AM by Matrix »

UK_63

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 10:58:03 AM »
In the Chord Tutor which is built into the Tyros, there is no sign of any 11th chord so I have figured out that the best way to get round it is to play the root triad (left hand), PLUS the triad of the note ONE WHOLE TONE below eg: Chord required B11..........I play standard B chord (B, D# F#) in the left hand PLUS the triad of 'A' in the right hand - Sonically, it seems to work.

Thanks to all

Kevin

Offline Wally Z

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
It only works on the 11th day of the 11th month in the 11th year.  So be patient you only have 97 years to wait.  :D

How can you play an 11th when you only have ten fingers?
Amateur- A person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons.
Here's some of my compositions.

Offline deepsae48

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 01:26:48 PM »
B11 (F#, A, C#, E)
See attached

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 03:08:38 PM »
Kevin
The reason it almost works sonically is because conventionally in an 11th chord you would include the 7th (A) the 9th (C #) and of course the 11th (E) which makes a triad of A major chord. But strictly speaking you would also leave out the 3 rd (D#) because D# and E is a discord. So on a piano you could play Bb and F# in the left and the A triad on the right. Whether this would work on an arranger might depend on the fingering mode and the style.
However, having said all that I agree with John that in most popular songs the 11th appears in the melody so is seldom adding anything. There are some jazz arrangements where the 11 th is a chord but seldom in popular music. I would play a B7 9 chord and let the melody note add the rest. Or even more likely play B7 LH chord and play C# incidental along with the melody E in the RH.
Mike

Offline English

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 10:17:18 AM »
Use 7Sus4
AlanDavisJr.com
Korg PA3x, Yamaha Tyros 4, Yamaha CP4 Stage Piano, Yamaha PSR3000, Roland F-100 Electric Piano, Roland PK-5 Bass Pedals, various harmonicas, penny whistle and a bass triangle (needs tuning)

Offline pieterpan

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 01:15:46 PM »
Hi,

You can download this tiny piece of software and find instantly most of the chords you need.

http://www.dallimore.co.uk/free_software.htm

Hope this will help - regards <> Piet
Yamaha Tyros 4 - Yamaha KX 25 - Gem WSII module

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 02:51:42 PM »
Great lession!!!

Pedro

B11 (F#, A, C#, E)
See attached
Pedro Eleutério
PSR Performer