Author Topic: " Can't Sing and Play at the same time"?  (Read 1878 times)

Offline edgavin

" Can't Sing and Play at the same time"?
« on: September 21, 2014, 12:37:06 PM »
In all the years of teaching Accordion, and Piano; there were a few of My students  who couldn't sing and play at the same time......  Most of which was just lack
of confidence.    BB King the great Blues Guitar player still can't Sing and play at the same time .    If you noticed,  He would stop playing every time he started
to Sing.    There is a simple way to get control and do both; ie, start with a simple chord  _C      Play C-E-G,  each note separately, then sing C-E-G at the same
time.  Continue this exercise with all the MAJOR Chords and continue on to the Minors and others.     You will be teaching your fingers to recognize the feeling
and position of each chord without having to look.     Find some simple songs  3 Chord songs like ;    "You are my Sunshine"     Hold down the 3 note chords and
You will be training  your Ear as you sing.        In a few weeks  you will surprize Yourself.

Keep Practicing            

Regards   :D  Ed Gavin
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:21:11 AM by edgavin »

Offline Ed B

Re: " Can't Sing and Play at the same time"?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 05:31:28 PM »
Thanks for th tip Ed

Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 12:05:14 AM »
I'm having the same problem. I've both been singing and playing for decades, but I can't do both at the same time. Chords and singing simultaneously I can manage, but I can't seem to sing and play a lead voice at the same time.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 06:19:42 AM »
Hi Robert,

Your normal and you can't do both at the same time naturally. But what you can do is play riffs when you are not singing or taking short breaks between phrases.

Also you don't want the lead player to play some wild lead riff while your singing that is not Normal. I almost killed one guitar player for do that years ago at a gig. ;D

Regards
Drake

Offline edgavin

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 10:18:23 AM »
Drake:   Your right, it is hard to play lead and sing at the same time; but that's not what I want to accomplish.     After practicing these
exercises, you will be able to know what sound will result when you press a certain key.     If your playing a song  the basic accompaniment
is played with the left Hand,however you can add second and third harmony's with the right hand, and move them into other positions of
the chord.   You might want to sing along as you move them to newer chords.     Move the fingers slowly as you sing the changes.
After a while this will become natural to the ear.

Keep Practicing

ED Gavin

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 10:23:39 AM »
Hi Ed

I was addressing Robert's message. I agree with your exercise as I did something similar to teach myself to play the riffs I now use in songs as I am singing. ;)

Regards
Drake

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 02:35:55 PM »
People learning to play guitar usually play and sing at the same time pretty naturally. But keyboard players nearly always find it difficult. I've never figured that out. Same is largely true of playing by ear - nearly everyone learning guitar learns to play largely by ear, but many keyboard players never master it. A bit strange is it not.
Mike

Offline edgavin

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 04:55:20 PM »
Well Mike,       The Guitar sounds better with it's Two Octive Range of notes; almost all played together in one chord, with one strum. 
 A Capo attached to accomodate Most Vocal Ranges, and still using the same finger positions       What could be easier?   Segovia said
he fell in love with the Guitar because it was shaped like a Woman. ;D

Regards 

ED

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 10:49:14 PM »
People learning to play guitar usually play and sing at the same time pretty naturally. But keyboard players nearly always find it difficult. I've never figured that out. Same is largely true of playing by ear - nearly everyone learning guitar learns to play largely by ear, but many keyboard players never master it. A bit strange is it not.
Mike
I'd have to agree on that. I can play the guitar and sing at the same time. Keyboard however...
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 04:48:22 AM »
Ed - you are correct because although all instruments become about equally difficult at the highest level, the guitar is an easier instrument to get started on than some others - certainly than a piano and that is part of its attraction. But not sure that's the whole story because arranger type keyboards are also fairly easy to get started on, especially the accompaniment part. I think it has more to do with learning to trust your subconscious. Exercises like you suggest are great to train the subconscious but they then have to trust it. I believe that people learning to play guitar do this almost immediately because they tend to strum along to their own singing or humming from the start, but people learning keyboards don't do this. They fixate on trying to control their fingers in real time to hit the right notes.
I often tell people to spend some time playing the keyboard just like the guitar player would ie don't try to play the tune, sing it and just play the LH accompaniment. That improves their ear and makes them trust the subconscious. I think this is pretty much the same thing you are saying.
BTW - guitar has other similarities to a woman besides the shape. You can make great music together but there are many strings attached. ;D
Mike

MikeC

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 02:43:09 AM »
That sounds like very logical advice Ed. I've been playing keyboard, reed & some string instruments for over 50 years and never sang because I found it to be just too darn difficult. I'll give your suggestion a go. As Disney once said, "It's fun to do the impossible".

Mike

Offline Linda K

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 03:57:26 AM »
I play by ear and couldn't play keyboard and sing together until last year when I downloaded a karaoke of Bette Midler's "The Rose" onto my ipad.

At my keyboard I first played back the recording TOGETHER while singing along with it as I was learning the song.

Then on my KB I played only the melody AND sang along with Bette.

Then I added the chords to the melody and played both while singing along with the recording.

Finally - I turned off Bette's song and was able to play and sing 'The Rose' at the same time 8)

Linda