Author Topic: A.N.Other chord question  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Dave

A.N.Other chord question
« on: June 26, 2014, 12:27:03 PM »
hi all
  I am having trouble trying to play an F6 chord inversion   F.A.C.D gives me F6 no problem but need to play it A.C.D.F but it comes up as Dm7...???

Dave

Offline Fred Smith

Re: A.N.Other chord question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 12:38:57 PM »
hi all
  I am having trouble trying to play an F6 chord inversion   F.A.C.D gives me F6 no problem but need to play it A.C.D.F but it comes up as Dm7...???

Dave

That's the way the keyboard works. Because a 6th chord and a m7 chord use exactly the same notes, engineers had to pick a way to distinguish between the two. They chose that if the chord is in the root position, it's a 6th, otherwise, it's  m7.

BTW, all inversions trigger the same rhythm pattern. Why do you "need to play" ACDF?

Regards,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Dave

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 01:44:23 PM »
Hi thanks thought  it might be something  like that .... the reason is the chord sequence is ...Gm7....C7...F...F6...Gm7.....

Dave

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 05:06:16 PM »
Hi thanks thought  it might be something  like that .... the reason is the chord sequence is ...Gm7....C7...F...F6...Gm7.....

I hear you. It's annoying to have to move to an unfamiliar inversion in the middle of a neat sequence, but that's life.

You could experiment with a different Fingering type, like Full Keyboard, or AI Full Keyboard to see if what you're playing in the right hand helps the keyboard figure out the chord.

Regards,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Dave

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 07:44:48 AM »
Hi thanks ,yes I thought I had the sequence of pat  Gm7- C7  there is a C7sus4 in there as well all worked out well until the dreaded F6 came in ..I have reworked the  fingering to play the F6 in the root position the Dm7 is way way off key

Thank again
  Dave