Author Topic: Vocal harmoniser mostly doesn't work when I sing with a few exceptions  (Read 49903 times)

snappygraham

Hi. I am a new user of this excellent machine trying to understand how the VH works. Very few of the harmony effects play when I sing. I get the green signal to show it is working and there is a reverb happening. One setting (the girl karaoke ) works well and doesn't need me to be playing the keyboard for it to sound, which is my ideal. But I don't know why this one works and (also the bass singer) yet the others don't. Which of the settings is critical for this to happen? Do some buttons have to be on elsewhere?

Offline DrakeM

HI

Just start one of the styles to begin playing
Then turn the volume of the style to ZERO

Your vocal harmonizer will then be engaged and you will hear it working

Offline DonM

On most of the presets, you must be playing a style for it to sound.
DonM
DonM

Offline Fred Smith

Hi. I am a new user of this excellent machine trying to understand how the VH works. Very few of the harmony effects play when I sing. I get the green signal to show it is working and there is a reverb happening. One setting (the girl karaoke ) works well and doesn't need me to be playing the keyboard for it to sound, which is my ideal. But I don't know why this one works and (also the bass singer) yet the others don't. Which of the settings is critical for this to happen? Do some buttons have to be on elsewhere?

Vocal harmony works only if the keyboard knows what harmony you want. Is the song calling for a C chord, or an F chord, etc? So somehow you have to tell the keyboard what chord it should be harmonizing with. Otherwise, you'll get only noise, not harmony.

Most people, of course, simply play the chord in the left hand. Then the keyboard has no problems determining the harmony. But if you don't want "to be playing", then what do you want to be doing to get harmony? We'll need more information on how you're using your keyboard in order to be able to help you.

Regards,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

snappygraham

Hi. Thanks for the comments. I am really just a pianist using the psr for playing using the sounds for main and layering   adding some vocals with harmonic effects. I have made a you tube video where some sounds do work by adding a unison line, but not all. So from what you say the left hand with a lower keyboard setting in effect has to play the harmony notes if I want these in order to get any sounds for most of the harmony effects.

Anyway if you have time to see this, you might be able to sort me out!

http://youtu.be/uCkiPfiuqkA

Offline Fred Smith

Hi. Thanks for the comments. I am really just a pianist using the psr for playing using the sounds for main and layering   adding some vocals with harmonic effects. I have made a you tube video where some sounds do work by adding a unison line, but not all. So from what you say the left hand with a lower keyboard setting in effect has to play the harmony notes if I want these in order to get any sounds for most of the harmony effects.

First, there is no single "you" on this forum. It's a group of Yamaha keyboard enthusiasts who are willing to help each other out. The more people who are willing to help, the better the forum.

Next, you haven't described what solution you are looking for. You have found harmonies which will respond to just your voice. Only you can decide whether they provide the harmony you want. If you want what most people would describe as better harmony, you'll need to provide a chord to the harmonizer. The chord doesn't have to sound (ie, you could set the left volume to zero), and the chord can be provided by either the left hand or a midi file. But for most effective harmonies, it will need to know what chord you want it to harmonize to.

Regards,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline travlin-easy

If you are using the vocal harmonizer, the keyboard essentially has to be told which key you are playing in order to know what harmony key to select, which is done via midi. Therefore, if you are not holding down a chord with your left hand, the harmonizer cannot work. The ones you selected that did work did not require this information from the keyboard because of the way they were structured.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...