Author Topic: Playing with audio file  (Read 16642 times)

Bakhat

Playing with audio file
« on: December 24, 2013, 10:33:47 AM »
Hello,

I am learing about my new PSR 2000 and i believe you can download favourite songs from internet then to USB then play with song including listning to the vocals etc.

If this is the case can you please " gently " walk me through this process, i have songs dowloaded on mp3 style when I put the USB on the keyboad and follow the istructions a massage appears saying did not recognise the file

Can you help please

All the best to you all

Regards
Khalid

Offline travlin-easy

Re: Playing with audio file
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 10:52:32 AM »
the PSR 2000 cannot recognize audio files.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Bakhat

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 11:16:14 AM »
Oh, thank you Gary just thought it mention Audio playing in the manual

Regards
Khalid

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 04:19:26 PM »
Do you mean a PSR A2000???
A PSR 2000 is a model of 10 years old and doesn't play audio or takes an USB-stick. It has a floppydrive.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Bakhat

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 05:19:11 AM »
Yes it is the PSR A2000 my apologies, If this new keyboard is compatible with this style of playing a really would like to be able to download some songs from the internet or my CDs to USB and to my keyboard. i have tried by  with no success

How is it done if at all possible?

Regards
Khalid

Online tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 06:13:26 AM »
Hi Khalid,

Your A2000 can record and play audio files but not in mp3 format.  This is why you are getting an error message!

The only audio format that it can play is WAV, and the files must be 16 bit, stereo PCM at 44.1 kHz sampling rate. This is also the format that the keyboard uses to record audio.

The keyboard uses a USB memory device for playback and recording, and Yamaha refers to the process as USB Audio.

You should look up the 'USB Audio' section of the PSR-A2000 Owners Manual, which begins on page 79 of the English version.

You will find detailed instructions for playing and recording audio.

It is pretty simple, but if after reading it you have any specific questions, please post back.

If a WAV file that you try is not loaded correctly by the keyboard, the usual cause is that the file specification is wrong, often in terms of the sampling rate, so that is probably the first thing to check.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 06:22:01 AM by tyrosaurus »

Bakhat

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 06:52:23 AM »
Ian thank you very much, are you saying I can download my favourite songs from CD or internet then put on USB then To keyboard

And if this can be done using WAV files etc how do I convert the file to WAV

I am sorry Ian to be a pain!

Regards
Khalid

Online tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 10:03:31 AM »
Hi Khalid,

Songs 'ripped' from a CD will already be in the correct '.WAV' format and 44.1 kHz sampling rate, unless you have your 'ripping' program set up to save in a different format, so you should be able to just transfer them to a USB and play them on your A2000 as they are.

Music downloaded from the internet could well be in a different format, including compressed ones such as mp3 or aac, or even .WAV but not at 44.1 kHz.

Files such as these will need to be converted into the correct .WAV format before they will play on your keyboard.  To play on your A2000 the files must be stereo, 16 bit linear PCM, at 44.1 kHz sample rate.

You can use a digital audio converter program for this, and you can find plenty of free ones on the internet from a Google search. Just be careful what you download, and when you install the program, watch out for extras such as toolbars that might be offered.  Decline them, unless you want them of course!

Regards

Ian

Bakhat

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
Ian, what a gentleman extremely helpful thank you, I hope to get it right when I next email you  :)

All the best
Khalid

Bakhat

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 03:24:53 PM »
Hi again,

...ripped the cd.. To my music folder..then to the usb..then to keyboard..pressed usb button..audio screen on ..opened the file..file showing in the folder..when i click on it in doest not show any audio songs

I did worn you Ian, i am good with technology

Many thanks
K

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 04:29:29 PM »
Bakhat,

Unless they are still in the wrong format (as Ian explained) they should play!

On the PSR S950 (I believe it is more or less the same on your keyboard) the procedure is as follows:
Keyboard on and USB with the WAV songs attached
press: USB-AUDIO PLAYER (top right on the 950)
press: FILE and go to where your songs are located
Highlight the song you want to play
press: AUDIO PLAY
That should do it.

If the file is still in the wrong format you should get a message that it can't be played.

Success
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Online tyrosaurus

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 05:12:47 PM »
Hi Khalid,

I think that you are getting closer!   ;)

If your files are in a folder on the USB, then I assume that this will be listed by the keyboard. At any given folder level, folders usually appear first in the list before the actual files, but only files that the keyboard OS recognises as Audio (from the '.wav' file extension) will be shown.

There is nothing in the Owner's Manual that suggests that Audio files must be in the root.  

If the files are in a folder and you can see it, make sure that you select it to open it and reveal the files themselves, then select the file that you want to play.

If you are still not seeing the individual tracks in the Audio file list on your A2000, I suggest that you check the details of the file/s that are on your USB, using your computer and  Windows Explorer or Mac equivalent.

Are the tracks saved as separate files or are they all in one file?

If they are individual files, then if you are using Windows Explorer, right click on one of the files and click 'Properties'.  You should see the file type and the file extension on the  'General' tab in the properties window that opens.   The file extension is the final three characters following the last '. (dot)'  and must be wav or WAV.

You can also check the sampling rate if you select the 'Details' tab. It is in the 'Audio' details and is shown as 'Bit rate'.  This value must be 1411 kbps.

If all the tracks have been combined into a single WAV file, then it should still play as long as the bit rate is OK,  but I think that audio files are limited to about 80 minutes long on Yamaha keyboards,  which should accommodate one CD, but it might just be too large.

If the above does not reveal the cause of your problems, then to troubleshoot the problems that you are having, I suggest that you rip a single track from a CD, making sure that the program is set to save the track as a 16 bit stereo WAV file at 14.1 kHz.

Audio playback does work on these keyboards if the files used conform to the required specification, so don't give up!

By the way, out of interest, what part of the world are you in?

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 05:20:02 PM by tyrosaurus »

Bakhat

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 04:08:43 AM »
Thank you gent, i can not believe how nice the people in this forum are (wow), do you scan people before they are accepted to this forum?!

I am realy impressed and greatfull to you all.

P.S Ian I live in UK ( Lancaster ) but originally Moroccan, any help or advise I can give you apart from Keyboards/computers please ask

I will have another go before I lose all my hair!

Kind regards to you all

Khalid

Bakhat

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 08:34:06 AM »
Ian, you did advise me not to give up!

The good news is I have dowloaded a program allowning to ripp CD in WAV format , first I was  using MP3 then media palyer, as you said Ian it did not work, now I am listning to my first song ( Santana ) using My keyboard Audio  ;)

The next question, I can not turn off channels i.e guitar, vocals etc so I can play and sing with the audio, I believe you can on the psr 950 Can psra 2000 do it?

Regards
Khalid

Online tyrosaurus

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 09:30:57 AM »
Hi Khalid,

I'm glad that you have made progress with audio playback.

However you can't turn off any channels when playing back audio files on your A2000.

The function that you refer to on the S950 is called 'Vocal Cancel' and only really works successfully when the sound that you want to eliminate is perfectly centred in the stereo mix.  Vocals  often are centred, and so it is possible to process the signal as it is played back and reduce the level, or almost eliminate them in some cases. The success rate tends to vary depending on the type and style of the music,  I don't know how successful it would be with a Santana track for example!

But unfortunately this function is not available on your A2000.

You can get software to use on a computer which can do this to some extent, but it is difficult to remove, or even significantly reduce the level of specific instruments from a standard two track stereo.

Some DAWS such as Cubase, or the free audio editor called Audacity contain filters which claim to be able to reduce vocals and produce a karaoke version of the file, but not in real time,  and again the results are variable.

If you Google something like 'remove vocals from audio' you should get an idea of what is available, but in spite of the claims made by some people, the results are often not perfect, even from those few Yamaha keyboards that support the feature.

Regards

Ian

Bakhat

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 10:10:59 AM »
I am very happy with the result so fare I can play ( not so good ) with a live bend!

Again, I can't thank you all enough for your support

Kind regards
Khalid

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 03:57:49 PM »
Bakhat,

Don't miss the 'Vocal Cancel' on your keyboard it is just a gig and it takes also most sounds away that are more or less centered in the stereo spectrum. It makes the sound of the song quite 'thin'.
I used it ones or twice bun not even think about it anymore.
As Ian mentioned you can use the free to download AUDACITY program, very good by the way, and do the same and than safe your song again as MP3 or WAV.
Load it back in the keyboard and ready you are.

Canceling, adjust or 'mute' instruments you can do only with midi-files using the mixing console.

Dick
Bali
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950