Author Topic: adjusting volume on intros  (Read 1468 times)

Offline smiling jack

adjusting volume on intros
« on: December 22, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »
Need help..can someone tell me how to increase volume on an intro. I downloaded ( In the mood) style but the intro volume is much lower than the main variation volume. I sure dont know how to use the style creator, is there an easier way to save this to registration? Surely many of you have had this problem. Smiling Jack..

Offline Joe H

Re: adjusting volume on intros
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 10:06:48 AM »
Jack,

You can change any parameter in a style and save the changes as follows:

1. Select your style
2. Open Style Creator
3. Select the style Section (in your case the Inro you want to edit) a small box will appear in the bottom right corner
4. Press OK (button 8 )
5. Start the style playing so you can hear your edits
6. Go to the Mixing Console and adjust the volume on the Intro Part or Parts you want to change.
7. Stop the style player
8. Save the style in Style Creator giving it a modified name and save to whichever drive you normally save User Styles.

You can make adjustments to any Voice, Pan, Volume, Effects setting, etc to any of the individual 15 Sections this way.  The downside to this approach is if you go to change the global setting of Volume on the same Part for all Sections of the style later on, then the Intro will be adjusted accordingly.

An option to adjusting the Volume of the Intro is to use MixMaster and increase or decrease the Velocity of all notes for that Intro.  Doing it that way will allow you to tweak the global volume at any time in the future without having to adjust individual Section volume.  I personally like the Velocity editing of a Section better than Volume for the reason stated here.

Regards,
Joe H
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:51:13 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Mikek703

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 01:30:54 PM »

6. Go to the Mixing Console and adjust the volume on the Intro Part or Parts you want to change.
7. Stop the style player
8. Save the style in Style Creator giving it a modified name and save to whichever drive you normally save User Styles.

You can make adjustments to any Voice, Pan, Volume, Effects setting, etc to any of the individual 15 Sections this way.  The downside to this approach is if you go to change the global setting of Volume on the same Part for all Sections of the style later on, then the Intro will be adjusted accordingly.
Hi Joe,
This is an interesting post for me as I, too, am unfamiliar with Style Creator.  I am afraid I am lost at your Step 6.  I am sure this is an amateurish question, but exactly which selection(s) in the Mixing Console corresponds to the volume of the selected Intro?  I see that Phr1 lowers or increases the volume in some parts of the intro.  Phr 2 doesn't seem to do anything.  
Mike
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:38:39 PM by Mikek703 »

Offline smiling jack

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Thanks, Joe I will give it a try..Jack

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 04:42:37 PM »
Mike,

After you select a Section button (intro, Main, Break, etc) then OK (button 8 )... go to the Mixing console and press the  'PART' button (middle button) until you see the Style Parts.  then you will see which Style Parts have Voices and note data (if they are greyed-out, then there is no note data recorded)

In other words, an Intro may use only 4 Parts of a style out of the possible 8 parts. You can adjust any parameter in the Style edit pages (TAB right for several pages) You need to have the ACMP playing to hear your edits.

To use the example above, Maybe Intro 3 has 2 drum parts, Phrase 1 and Chord 2 playing. You can adjust those 4 parts then go back to Style Creator... FUNCTION > DIGITAL REC > STYLE CREATOR... then you can save the style with a new name.

This is not very intuitive I know... but that is how it works.  What you are doing is loading the style, then starting Style Creator, selecting the Section you want to edit, make your edits, then going back to Style Creator to save your edits.  It would be nice if we had a better interface.

Hope this makes sense.

Joe H
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:01:04 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Mikek703

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 04:14:00 AM »
Hi Joe,
Thanks for sticking with me on this.  With your instructions and the tutorial here on the mixing console, I should be able to figure this out.   ???
Regards,
Mike

Offline Elainehf

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 03:04:05 PM »
Need help..can someone tell me how to increase volume on an intro. I downloaded ( In the mood) style but the intro volume is much lower than the main variation volume. I sure dont know how to use the style creator, is there an easier way to save this to registration? Surely many of you have had this problem. Smiling Jack..

That's where I make my volume changes for a particular song,  many of the intros are really very loud, and I lower on the mixing console and save to a registration.  When I have all the banks ready in a registration, I listen to all of them and adjust the volumes  to blend better. 

Elaine