Author Topic: possibillity to playback styles larger then 64KB on psr2100?  (Read 6206 times)

Offline maramsp

possibillity to playback styles larger then 64KB on psr2100?
« on: December 08, 2013, 07:59:02 AM »
Hey there :)

My question is simple.
Is there a way to play downloaded styles on the psr2100 that are larger then 64 kilobytes in size?
On my old psr740, it did not matter how big the styles were. On my 2100 however, i cannot play them if they are larger then 64kb.. That really isnt nice.
And then I too have a second question.
Since im planning to upgrade in 2014 to a psr3000 or maybe a tyros1, does this 2 keyboards have the possibillity to play styles larger then 64kb?

Thnx in advance, and greetings from Mara
Im still creating/converting/editing styles for use on all the psr and tyros keyboards that can handle custom styles.
If you have a request, pm me please, and i see what i can do
Also still recording songs, request? pm me :)
My picture is taken in Cura

Offline MBedesem

Re: possibillity to playback styles larger then 64KB on psr2100?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 10:57:38 AM »
Mara:

It has been years since I did anything regarding style size, but my records show the following:

"PSR-2000", "PSR-1000", "PSR-2100", "PSR-1100", "PSR-550": Max > 78000

"TYROS4", "TYROS", "PSR-9000", "PSR-3000", "TYROS3", "TYROS2", "PSR-S900", "PSR-S700", "PSR-S910", "PSR-S710", "PSR-S950", "PSR-S750", "PSR-1500": Max>139000

"PSR-740", "PSR-730", "PSR-640": Max>45000

The main reasons that styles get to be so large are :

1) Into C and or Ending C or

2) Large numbers of Pan, Brightness or Expression events. Dance styles are often the worst in this regard.

MixMaster can be used to remove or thin these causes (http://www.psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html).

Regards,

Michael

Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 11:34:38 AM »
HI Mara

If you can't load the style due to the size of the style you will need to cut parts of the style out of the original style. You and drop the INTRO 3 and/or the ENDING 3 of the style, as these tend to be very large most of the time. However if you want the INTRO 3 and ENDING 3 ... then drop INTRO 1 & 2 and ENDING 1 & 2.

If the style is still to big then drop the MAIN D part of the style.

The above are just examples of the parts to drop out the style as they tend to be the BIGGEST.

I used to play the Yamaha PSR2000 and I used this free program to drop out the styles parts to make them work in the keyboard:

http://www.crestonhall.com/music/vs.php

It is simple and straight forward to use. There are other programs that you can use but I think this one is the easiest to understand and use and I know it will get the job for you. ;)

Regards
Drake

Offline maramsp

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 10:35:16 PM »
yes i know how to cut those from the styles.. I use styleworks 2000 for it..
But i hoped there was a way we could tweak the 2100 to read styles bigger then 64kb
But what does that 78000, 139000 and 45000 means MBedesem?

Thnx from all

Cheers, Mara
Im still creating/converting/editing styles for use on all the psr and tyros keyboards that can handle custom styles.
If you have a request, pm me please, and i see what i can do
Also still recording songs, request? pm me :)
My picture is taken in Cura

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 01:54:43 AM »
(snip)
But what does that 78000, 139000 and 45000 means MBedesem?
(snip)

Size in bytes...  ;)

Regards
Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 05:27:15 AM »
The style size is bytes, but users would see these numbers is in KB in Windows Explorer, or in bytes in MidiPlayer's Play List on MixMaster's MultiProcessing View (or in next release when a file is loaded).

See the Explorer screen attached. (Note that to get the size to display on your system, you may have to turn on the Size column by right clicking on the top are where the column headers are located).

Styles are a little unusual in that the one file is comprised of multiple sections: the style patterns, the One Touch Settings, the Casm and a Music Finder section (which may not be in use anymore that was used to rebuilt the internal musicfinder in response to a finder reset).

The number the instruments care about is the total that are displayed by the programs listed above. Many midi programs only read the pattern section and strip off the others, so if you rename a style and put it into a sequencer or some other utilities any size information that you get will be smaller. Also, if you use these programs to reduce the size, you will need to restore them by using Jorgen's Style Split & Splice.    

If you use MixMaster, the edits can be done without worrying about losing any of the built in sections. Some of the common methods of reducing style size using this program are:

1) Eliminating one or more sections(e.g.Intos B/C and/or Endings B/ C).

To delete a style section: In MixMaster's ListView, use Select Data Start to identify the section, and then execute the Edit/DeleteSelected Events menu item.  

2) Reducing the number of Pan, Brightness, Modulation or Expression events.

Fix using MixMaster's ListView’s Event Type check box = Controller with the selector=type, e.g. Pan, and the Channel checkbox = the channel #. Then select events and ProcessEvents/Thin Selected Controller Events.  

Regards,

Michael
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:30:08 AM by MBedesem »
Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5