Author Topic: REPLACE TYROS 1 HARDRIVE?  (Read 154751 times)

Offline Linda K

REPLACE TYROS 1 HARDRIVE?
« on: December 06, 2013, 12:13:31 AM »
I am wondering if I should replace my 3.5 year old hard drive on T1.

What do you think?

Linda K
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:26:40 AM by Linda K »

Offline abr

Re: REPLACE TYROS 1 HARDRIVE?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 06:55:58 AM »
Hi Linda

why do you think it needs changing ???

is it causing problems

what size is your H/D?

is it full? ( if so can you delete some of its contents)

T1 H/D is a IDE laptop H/D and fairly inexpensive especially if you buy one second hand ;D

regards

arthur

Offline Linda K

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 08:15:14 AM »
Hi Arthur

Thanks for replying ;D

I am concerned my HD might 'crash' as some older hard drives in my computers have.

I don't regularly back up the T1 files very often. Although My T1 HD hasn't ever crashed, I would hope a new one would give me a significant window of time in which an unexpected crash wouldn't occur.

My HD is not causing problems right now. I am in the process of deleting all the files from the HD, after backing them up to my laptop and CD. I am wondering if, before reinstalling any files,  I should consider buying a new HD because of the age of my current one (3.5 years).

Linda K

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 08:40:28 AM »
Hi Arthur

Thanks for replying ;D

I am concerned my HD might 'crash' as some older hard drives in my computers have.

I don't regularly back up the T1 files very often. Although My T1 HD hasn't ever crashed, I would hope a new one would give me a significant window of time in which an unexpected crash wouldn't occur.

My HD is not causing problems right now. I am in the process of deleting all the files from the HD, after backing them up to my laptop and CD. I am wondering if, before reinstalling any files,  I should consider buying a new HD because of the age of my current one (3.5 years).

I don't think there's a significant difference in the crash risk between old and new drives. In fact, you can make an argument in favor of old drives -- if it's working, it will continue to work. Crashes are more often due to external factors (shock due dropping, pounding, liquids, etc.)

However, the way you really can protect yourself simply is to back it up. This way you're guaranteed to be able to recover, versus spending money with no guarantee.

Regards,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline rattley

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 03:42:48 PM »
I copied everything I had on my Tyros 4 before I sold it. It took over an hour to copy to a portable drive!!!   -charley

Offline Linda K

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 04:44:27 AM »
Thanks Fred

My husband believes that the 'newer' hard drives are much les likely to crash than the older ones and what you are saying also makes sense to me ;D

Linda K
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:45:55 AM by Linda K »

fmilian

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 02:25:10 AM »
I have replaced my old hdd (it wasn't working anymore) with an adaptor.
A Compact Flash to mini-Ide.
I use now a 1GB Compact Flash, and it works fine (7-8 months from then)

Offline Linda K

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 05:45:52 AM »
Hi fmilian

Welcome to the forum and hope your Compact Flash to mini-Ide adaptor is working well for you ;D

What keyboard do you have?

Regards

Linda

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 06:54:30 AM »
Hi Linda,
  You may no longer be able to get a hard drive small enough for Tyros 1. They only took up to a certain size. I think mine was about 40 Gb IDE.

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 07:54:28 AM »
Linda,

What Eileen says is very true and finding one with the correct IDE interface may be next to impossible too.

You may be able to Partition a drive to smaller partitions and get it to work.

Been a very long time since this discussion has been presented and I remember having a very hard time
finding a new drive for my T1 and ended up buying a used one - that was a very long time ago.  :o :o :o

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

janett164

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 05:33:13 PM »
I have had a hard drive put in when the tyros first came out. Put a ubs in and it is going well Janett

Offline Linda K

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 06:28:50 PM »
Hi

Since starting this thread in 2013,  I have brought a T3 and will probably  sell my T1

This concern about replacing the T1 HD emerged as a consequence of remembering  a number of our desktop computer hard drives 'crashing', many years ago - and my goal of being pro active before this event occurred.

My understanding now is that the 'newer' hard drives are much less likely to crash than the older ones so this is not really an issue with the T1 HD.

Thanks for all responses ;D ;D

Linda

tientyros

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 01:35:32 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Tien, I had the tyros 1 for a long time but never had a chance to use it, now I want to install the hard drive, I use the HItachi HTS548040M9AT00 40GB 2.5' ide hard drive, I connect it to my pc and format it at fat32 and it work fine, after I follow the instruction in the owner manua, when I turn on the tyros 1, go to "Function"-->Utilities--->Disk, I only see the format option for the floppy disk, but not the hard drive???

can anyone please help?
 do I need to format the hard drive with any specific format?
 do I need to enable any function?
please I am new here and sorry If I bring up an old question.

Thanks a million in advance

Tien

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 11:45:12 AM »
Hi Tien,

I assume that the Tyros OS is not 'seeing' the hard disk at all.  If you open a file selection screen, for example the 'Style' screen by pressing one of the Styles category buttons on the keyboard, you should see some 'Tabs' at the top of the screen marked 'PRESET', 'USER' and 'FD'.  If the Tyros is seeing the hard disk then you should also see a fourth Tab marked 'HD1'.  If you can't see this, then as suggested by the fact that it does not appear in the list of devices to format, the keyboard is not seeing the disk.

The FAT32 format that you did on the PC should be OK, but if the Tyros is not even seeing the hard disk, that is not the problem here since the keyboard should see even an unformatted drive if it is correctly connected.   If you do get it working, you can always opt to format it again using the Tyros if you want to be absolutely sure about the format.

I would open the Tyros and carefully check that the connector is correctly aligned with the pins on the drive, and that none of the pins are bent and not pushed into the connector.   Remember that the first four pins (two pairs) at one end of the drive, that are separated from the rest by a missing pair of pins, are not used and the connector should be aligned with the main block of pins.   Also if there is any 'jumper' or link device on any of these four separate pins, it should be removed so that the drive appears as a 'master' drive to the system.

There is a Tyros firmware upgrade available (Version 1.40) which should be worth installing if your keyboard currently has an earlier version.  The problem with your hard drive is unlikely to be related to the OS version but it is probably worth updating anyway. You never know it might even help!

To check the current firmware version:

Select FUNCTION -> UTILITY -> OWNER to open the OWNER window.
 Hold down the OWNER NAME button for 5 seconds, until the version information appears.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 11:47:14 AM by tyrosaurus »

tientyros

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 08:21:01 AM »
Hi Ian,
thanks for your post, I did check and on top of the screen, I only see "preset", "user" and "FD" I do not see any "HD",

I did check very carefully the Pin alignment and they are correct all pins are nice and straigh , no jumper in the extra 4 pins

I check the firmware and it is version "1.0"

I will try to upgrade it to version "1.4" as you suggested, is there procedure somewhere I can follow to perform the firmware upgrade?

thanks again for your help.

Tien

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 10:25:39 AM »
Hi Tien,

Note that there are two versions of the firmware update package, one for floppy disk (actually needs 14 disks!), and one for USB  directly from your computer, although this may require a working hard disk in the tyros to work so might not be an option for you, but I'm not sure about that!

Whichever one you download, there is a PDF file and a .txt file with installation instructions included in the ZIP archive.

You can download the update from the Yamaha/Support/Downloads for Tyros web page.   Here is a link to the UK site, but if this won't work for you, there should be an equivalent page at your local country's Yamaha site...

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?site=uk.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16277&category_id2=16084&category_id3=&product_id=1040713

Regarding your disk, I can't really offer any more advice, but can you hear the disk spin up when you turn the keyboard on? If you try it in a really quiet room and put your ear close to the keyboard you should be able to hear if the disk actually starts spinning.  You could also remove the disk cover from the keyboard and switch the keyboard on to double check if you can't hear it with the cover on.  If you put your finger on the caddy holding the disk, you may feel a slight vibration if it is spinning.  If it is not powering up, but you know that it works with your computer, maybe the Tyros is not supplying power to the disk.

Whatever happens, please let us know how you get on.

Regards

Ian

tientyros

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 10:41:25 AM »
Hi Ian,

thanks for your help, I will try to upgrade the firmware,

when I turn on the tyros, I hear the hard drive make continuous "click" noise it seem like the hard drive try to spin but can't....

tientyros

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 11:25:50 AM »
I use the dc voltmeter and measure pin #2 of the hard drive when I connect to the computer it is 5.0V and the hard drive work fine
but when I connect to the Tyros, pin #2 only show 4.2 V and it can not power on the hard drive and can not make the drive spin smoothly but only the click sound...

I will try to find the hard disk that less sensitive to the power voltage which can turn on at 4.0V DC and will post back...

Thanks
Tien

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 12:12:36 PM »
Hi Tien,

According to the Tyros Service Manual, there should be 5V at pins 41 and 42 on the connector.  Pin 2 is Ground.

Could it be that the disk is faulty, and this is what is causing the voltage drop when it is trying to start up?

Try checking the voltage across pin 41 (or 42) and pin 2 without the drive connected.

Have you tried the drive back in the computer since you heard it clicking?

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:14:07 PM by tyrosaurus »

tientyros

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 01:37:35 PM »
Hi Ian,

sorry for confuse about the pin #,

yes, I check the voltage with out the hard drive and it is 4.15 volts.

I put the hard drive back to the computer and the work fine, I check the voltage when it connect to the computer, it is 5.0 volts... I try all 4 hard drives, they all from Hitachi they all have the same problem, work fine with my PC but can not turn on when I put on the Tyros,
I also noted that all of these 4 hard drive from Hitachi are rated at 5.0 volts and 1.0 A, I look at some other manufacture online and some of them rate 5.0 volts and only 0.5 A...I wonder if the lower current drive will work....cause I think either the voltage is too low or the current require are too high that mat the drive can not turn on...what do you think?

Thanks a million in advance
Tien

tientyros

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 10:03:38 AM »
Hi Ian,

Problem solved, there is a connector with 4 wire (2 red, 2 balck) on the circuit board that the hard drive connected to, they are 4.75 volts, I use a small wire to jump from one of the red wire (4.75V) to pin 42 and the hard drive spin, turn on the Tyros and it see the hard drive now and I am formatting the drive fine.....

thanks for all the support.

Tien