Author Topic: PSR2000 Disk Drive Question  (Read 3995 times)

Offline CrzyCDN

PSR2000 Disk Drive Question
« on: August 04, 2013, 05:18:15 AM »
Hello  Members

I have acquired a PSR2000 which is not reading floppy disks.
If you have a PSR2000, can you tell me - When the PSR2000 is powered on, is it normal for the floppy disk light to be "on"?
When I inset and try to format a floppy on the PSR2000, is says no floppy present.
I swapped the drive with another one with the same results.
If is it normal for the floppy disk light to be "on" at power up, I will start checking the ribbon cables etc.
Another note - when a floppy is inserted, it seems to be rotating endlessly. The light is always "on" solid.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Regards - Ted

Offline travlin-easy

Re: PSR2000 Disk Drive Question
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 05:28:39 PM »
Ted, if I recall, the PSR-2000 floppy drive was the old single-sided, single-density disk, which means you'll have to do a few things in order to format the disk. If I recall correctly, there are two openings or holes at the top of the disk. On a double-sided, double density disk, only one opening is covered, while on the single-sided, single density dish both openings needed to be covered. Keep in mind I'm doing this from ancient memory (mine) and ancient technology by today's standards. I believe I may still have some of those floppy disks in the office.

If you Google the disk information you may find some more specific instructions for formatting these disks for the PSR-2000.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 05:57:02 PM »
Ted,

Sorry to say it's been 10 years since I last laid eyes on a 2000 and I just don't have a clue about it any more.

From the Owners Manual:
3.5" 2DD and 2HD type floppy disks can be used.

I am sending a p-mail that may be helpful to you

Bill G

I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 07:33:44 AM »
Bill is correct, I was thinking of the PSR-740, which used the older drive system. If the keyboard cannot read the disks, the drive is likely defective. They are easily replaced, and it only takes about 30 minutes to do the job. The drive itself only costs about $10 on various Internet sites and the most difficult part of replacing it was removing all the screws from the bottom of the keyboard.

Good Luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline CrzyCDN

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 01:40:27 PM »
Thank you Bill and Gary for your input.

It turns out the replacement (used) floppy drive was no good.
I tried the original PSR drive and replacement drive in my computer and neither worked.
I took the computer floppy drive and tried it in the PSR.   .... IT WORKED.
I will search around for a *GOOD* replacement drive and all should be normal.

Thanks again Bill and Gary for your input.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 02:10:24 PM »
Glad we could help,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...