Author Topic: Add some harmony to melody  (Read 2212 times)

Offline mick47

Add some harmony to melody
« on: March 06, 2013, 12:25:19 PM »
Hello
Been playing for a couple of years and play chords and one note melodys .Would like to add to the one note stuff and go to say a 2 note melody.Do i just play another note that fits with the melody note. eg If i play C with a G or F with an A.
Any ideas, not a serious player just would like to kick it along a bit. :D
re mick
[have a PSR-E233]

Offline EileenL

Re: Add some harmony to melody
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »
Dose your keyboard not have a right hand harmony funtion.A lot of Yamaha keyboards do.If not play the chord you are playing with your left hand but with the melody note at the top.If you are playing a C chord and your melody note is E then play GCE and any other notes until the chord changes and so on.

Offline mick47

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 03:32:52 PM »
Thanks eileen
I was thinking more of accompanying the melody note with another chord note...using 2 fingers instead of one on the right hand.Does this make sense?

maybe like a melody note  E so play  a C below it??.How would this work with all notes in a scale?

re mick

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 03:45:18 PM »
Thanks eileen
I was thinking more of accompanying the melody note with another chord note...using 2 fingers instead of one on the right hand.Does this make sense?

maybe like a melody note  E so play  a C below it??.How would this work with all notes in a scale?

To play chords in the right hand, you can add any note from the chord below the melody note. By far the most common (and pleasing to Western ears) two-note chords are thirds and sixths.

So if the bar you are playing has a C chord, and the melody is E G C, the play the chords E&C, G&E, C&E.

The other option is to turn on harmony. You can specify lots of different types of harmony like duets, full chord, etc.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline mick47

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 04:48:56 PM »
Thanks fred
So that would played as third,third then sixth?
re mick

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 05:20:40 PM »
Mick,

First let your ears be your guide - if it don't sound good stop it.  ;)

I'm kidding, but also there is some truth in that.
I suggest you try using differing space between the notes because if you use a constant interval, it will become boring very quickly.

Keep in mind that Woodwinds, brass and saxes and trumpets are monophonic and can only play a single note at a time.
Sure bands have more than one sax or trumpet, but what I'm driving at is that string instruments
like piano, guitar violins, etc are polyphonic and folks expect to hear them playing more than a single note.

So take a good sounding voice and just try different intervals and listen to them until you get the
feel for the sound you will get with each one.

And slow the song or style down so you can dwell on the sound you are getting - pretty soon you will start to get a feel for it.
And, close your eyes and listen - you'll know when your getting it right.

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline mick47

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 05:28:25 PM »
ta bill ,will give it a try
mick

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 05:36:18 PM »
Mick,

The reason I suggest doing it this way is because you will be surprised how many intervals will work.

Because you know there are "Passing tones", the tones in the melody not found in the chord being played.
So of course you can play other tones not found in the chord along with that melody.
You just need to poke around for a while you'll get it just train your ear to listen.

I think you can hardly do any wrong with the Electric pianos and synth voices - they just seem to work with the oddest combinations.   ;)

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 05:38:23 PM »
Thanks fred
So that would played as third,third then sixth?

Yes.

Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons