Author Topic: UX 16 Midi to USB (Resolved)  (Read 6036 times)

skeezix

UX 16 Midi to USB (Resolved)
« on: August 04, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
I've been looking at midi/USB interfaces and have seen them priced from $30 to <$200, with most in the $50 range.

I'm going to buy an adapter cable to connect my P2K to my Vista computer for my own personal home use. The only midi device will be my keyboard.  I've heard a bit about UX16, and also UX1. Would one of these be a good choice for my application or are they overkill? Are there any other interface adapters I might want to consider?

One other thing, I'm sorta stuck with a distance of about 8-9 feet from the back of the keyboard to the back of the computer...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:32:54 PM by skeezix »

Offline Joe H

Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Dick Rector

Re: UX 16 Midi to USB
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 01:54:10 PM »
Hi Skeezix,
Joe H is right, that's the cable you need. You'll find them on EBay and even cheaper if you order them from Hong Kong as I did.
I use the same since about 6 months now.
Make sure you set the switch on the back of the keyboard in the correct position AND you have to tell the programs on the computer that you use an USB-DEVICE.

PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

skeezix

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 07:31:48 PM »
Okay. I bought a Roland UM-1 USB-to-MIDI adapter and I have spent the afternoon trying to play midi files on my Vista computer through my PSR-2000. I have not been successful. Here are the steps I took:

1  With the computer on and the PSR off, I connected the USB-MIDI Out plug to the PSR's MIDI IN jack, and the MIDI IN plug to the PSR's MIDI OUT plug.

2  I verified that the PSR Host switch was set to MIDI and I set the Master Volume knob to about 10 o'clock.

3  I successfully installed the driver for the Roland UM-1 according to the manufacturer's instructions.

4  I connected the UM-1 to one of the computer's USB ports on the back of the computer (i.e. not to an external USB hub).

5  I turned the computer off and back on and then turned the PSR on.

6  I started MidiPlayer and set the Setup Instrument to PSR-2000 and the Setup Voice to Panel XG.

7  I clicked the Setup Midi Device button and did what it said to do for my Vista system.

8  I added a midi file to the play list and then clicked the Play button.

RESULT: The PSR was silent, MidiPlayer indicated that the song was playing (i.e. progress bar moved), the Instrument-Style box read "There is no instrument and style listed", and the MIDI OUT led on the UM-1 was blinking.

9  I opened the MidiPlayer Help file and went through the First Time Setup steps. It was probably written before the Vista OS came out because Step 1 instructions did not match what I had in the Control Panel.

NOTE: I DID NOT install the Yamaha Midi Driver from the CD that came with the PSR because I thought that the Roland USB-to-Midi driver was sufficient. At this point, I'm afraid to put anything else into the mix...

10  I couldn't think of anything else to do so I thought I would ask for help on the forum.

=====UPDATE=====

Well in all my attempts to play midi files through the PSR I managed to get my computer to the point where it will not play midi files at all... that is, the files play with various midi players but there is no sound from the files.

I'm going to bed.....
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:13:30 PM by skeezix »

skeezix

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 10:30:20 AM »
Still more info...

When I go to the Device Manager, disable the UM-1, and double-click a MID file,the file plays through the computer speakers and the MIDI OUT led on the UM-1 is always off. When I re-enable the UM-1 in the Device Manager and couble-click a MID file, the UM-1 MIDI OUT led flashes and blinks, indicating MIDI OUT data is being passed to the PSR; nevertheless, no sound comes out of the PSR.

It's as though something in the PSR is either set wrong or is defective. It's not the MIDI cable hookup or the Host switch position. I didn't see anything in the documentation other than the cable hookup and the Host switch position (set to MIDI).  And the PSR plays midi files that live on floppy disks. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:52:06 AM by skeezix »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 11:52:24 AM »
skeezix,

Things to check...

1. Double-check your MIDI cables that you have MIDI Out from computer to MIDI In on keyboard and switch on keyboard is set to MIDI

2. Your MIDI Device (in Midi Player Options Menu) It should be set to: MPU-401

3. Check your Pre-programmed MIDI Templates on the keyboard. You should have it set to either ALL PARTS or Song (these MIDI configurations will allow your keyboard to be used as a sound module to play songs from an external sequencer or programs like Midi Player.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

skeezix

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 03:32:22 PM »
I checked the MIDI plugs a dozen times - each time verifying that the plug marked "IN" was plugged into the PSR MINI OUT jack etc.

So after reading your reply, I checked them again. This time with new batteries in my flashlight. That was when I saw that the plugs were not marked with just "IN" and "OUT", but with "Connect to MIDI IN" and "Connect to "MIDI OUT".

So I switched them and now the PSR plays Midi files.  :-[  :-[

Once again, Joe, you bailed me out. Many thanks!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:55:27 PM by skeezix »

Offline Joe H

Re: UX 16 Midi to USB (Resolved)
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 05:01:39 PM »
I'm glad you were not insulted by my suggestion on checking the cables again.  You are not the first person to get them backwards. I've done it a few times myself.

:)

Joe H