Author Topic: Chord Definintions ? How to  (Read 1989 times)

Offline lennylion

Chord Definintions ? How to
« on: April 25, 2011, 03:20:50 AM »
I have some sheet music that contain just the melody staff. They indicate tempo and Key. My question is,
"How do I define the chord definitions for this melody ?"

My musical ear is not tuned as yet to recognise these when I listen to the piece of music when played in full.

Second question
If I enter the dots into a midi file "is there a piece of software that could define the possible chords to give me something to start with ?"

Many Thanks
len
Buckinghamshire
U.K

Offline MBedesem

Re: Chord Definintions ? How to
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 05:15:09 AM »
Len:

PSRUTI will generate the chords based upon the notes in one or more midi tracks. Just load your song, depress Compute Chords and select a channel that has a chord type instrument (e.g. piano).

Get the program here: http://psrtutorial.com/util/plate.html

Regards,

Michael
Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

angelonyc

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:32:17 AM »
If it is a popular song, try googling for 'chords for (name of song)'.  You may find different songs, and you might have to compensate for sheet music and chord chart being in different key.  I sometimes check out Youtube for video of song being performed.  You can often ascertain the chords from that.

I was not aware PSRUTI will figure out chords, that is a very valuable resource. 

Of course chords are sometimes open to speculation, you will find chord substitutions in some songs, you must sort thru these and figure out which chord works best to your ears. 

Donquichutte

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 02:45:35 PM »
Good evening,

Another solution is to use a free software named "Melody Assistant". It's and excellent Midi editor with an efficient  chord calculation function.
Even the usage of this software is a little complex, it's useful !

Good Luck !!

Offline DonM

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 08:33:37 PM »
I wish Yamaha would incorporate the facility, as all Rolands do, that automatically interprets and displays the chords of any midi file you play.  It is very useful in helping learn the chords of a new song.
DonM
DonM

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 07:06:31 AM »
Chords deduced from a melody line only would be unlikely to be accurate, even with the best of software. Lots of guitar sites have chords for millions of songs. Copy them over to your sheet music and you have a lead sheet. You might need to transpose them if the key is different but that's not hard.
Mike