Author Topic: Registrations  (Read 3061 times)

alnart

Registrations
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:06:38 AM »
I've put songs for a show in a registration bank (8 of them).  How can I copy & paste (if possible) and move them around within that registration? For example can I move #3 to #6 and #5 to #1. Is there an easy way or do I have to rebuild each of the eight songs into a new registration in order get them in a different line up? Can I copy & paste into a new Registration bank?

They are done but now I would like to change the order of the songs to fit the order of the show.

Thanx in advance, Art                     alnart@aol.com

nealsaun

Re: Registrations
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 12:47:10 PM »
Hi Art,
There are likely multiple ways to rearrange the order of registration buttons, but I will describe the way that I use to do this.  I use a combination of the registration buttons and OTS buttons.  The OTS buttons are used as temporary parking spots for registrations to be moved.  To illustrate, take the example that you mentioned:  "can I move #3 to #6 and #5 to #1"  For this example, I would copy registration buttons #6 and #1 each to different OTS buttons (such as OTS buttons #1 & 2). This can be done in the following steps:

1. Select Reg #6 and then press the MEMORY button and OTS button #1.  Do the same thing in copying Reg #1 to OTS #2.  (This will make Reg buttons #6 and #1 available for use with other registrations settings.)

2. Then 'Copy & Paste' Reg #3 to Reg #6--- by selecting Reg #3, press the MEMORY button, and then press the Reg #6 button.  Then do the similar Copy & Paste for Reg #5 to Reg #1.  

3. If you still want to use the Registrations that you 'parked' in the OTS spots, you can re-select the former Reg #6 from its OTS parking spot (OTS #1) and copy it back to an available Reg button where you want to move it to (such as Reg #3)---by selecting the appropriate OTS button, pressing the MEMORY button, and then pressing the Reg button that you want to move it to. Do the similar copying of former Reg #1 (now stored in OTS #2) to the Reg button that you want to move it to.  (In this step, be careful not to overwrite a registration that you still want to use in its existing button.)

4. After you have finished these steps, be sure to SAVE the revised Registrations bank.  However, do not save the revised OTS bank when it asks you to do this---each time you make a change to it.  This will allow the OTS bank to revert to its original settings the next time you bring it up for use.

These steps sound a bit complicated, but they actually are very easy to do once you get the 'hang of it'.  Best wishes in using this process.
Neal
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 01:02:40 PM by Neal S »

alnart

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 01:06:25 PM »
Thanx, Neal - I will give it my best shot.  That will save an hour or two of playing around in a new Registraion(s). 

Art

Offline Joe W

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 08:20:06 PM »
Neal's suggestion can work, but be aware that a registration button stores much more information than the OTS button.  All of the voice settings, R1,R2,R3, and L are stored in the OTS as well as the Multipad.  Any other settings that can be saved in the registration, such as the tempo, are not stored in the OTS.
-- Joe Waters
Tyros5
PSR Performer Page

alnart

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 05:59:21 AM »
Joe, do you mean that previsouly customized instruments (like raising the volume of the bass, or replacing the grand piano with an electric piano for examples) will not remain in the registration sections that are moved via the OTS?  Art 

nealsaun

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 07:40:13 PM »
Art,
I have not had any problems of the type that Joe mentioned when I've 'parked' Reg settings temporarily in an OTS button.  When you press the MEMORY button as part of the 'moving' process, notice that you have the same choices for 'tic' marks when you save to either a Reg button or an OTS button.  So be sure that you select the topics that you want to save.

Frankly, I was surprised by Joe's warning comments on this topic, and I couldn't find anything in the manual that addressed this.  (That's not surprising about the manual!)  However, far be it for me to question Joe on anything he says about the Yamaha keyboards since he certainly knows MUCH more than I about our keyboards.  

Since the choices of what you want to save are the same when saving to either the OTS or Reg buttons, I assume that the same things should be saved in either case.  As a minimum, I think that anything associated with the right voices should be the same.  But there may be some things associated with the left voices and/or style that might change.  But if you are concerned with those, I would think that turning on the FREEZE button should make sure that everything remains the same with those items.  

Based on my successful experiences many times in using the process that I described, I don't think you should have any problems with what you want to do here.
Neal
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 07:41:35 PM by Neal S »

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
Neal,

I can assure you that the OTS will not store a style, MIDI or many other parameters.
Think about it - a style stores the OTS, not the other way around.
So if you have a different style on each of the registration buttons, your going to lose the style setting when you make the switch.

Try it and you it you will see.

Bil G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

nealsaun

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 11:18:50 PM »
Bill,
OK, I concede that point---if you are using different styles in the same registration bank.  My use of registrations is primarily for one song per bank---and usually one style per bank.  Thus, I have no problems in using the OTS buttons as temporary parking spaces for moving individual registration settings.  

Now the question becomes: What system does Art use in posing his question that started this thread?  As I re-look at his initial posting, I see that his opening sentence says: "I've put songs for a show in a registration bank (8 of them)."  Since he said songs (plural), I have to conclude that he is using multiple songs (and presumably multiple styles) in each registration bank.  Thus, your point is well taken.  Now the issue is:  Who is now going to address Art's question?  I tried to do that but failed!  So now someone else needs to step up and address his concern.
Neal
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 11:21:43 PM by Neal S »

alnart

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 06:01:19 AM »
Thank you Neal and Joe for all of your help & understanding of the process involved.  Yes, each one of the songs have different styles. I will try all of your suggestions hopefully this weekend using a different Registration Bank as a test. If only I could open that .rgt file on my computer I could then just move them around - but haven't been able to do that yet (I have 7-zip but that won't do it) & Google & I haven't found another program to accomplish this. I'll ask Yamaha tech.  I'll post what results I get.  Again, thanx for your invaluable insites.  Art 

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 06:48:14 AM »
Art,

Here is the way I would do what you wish:

1. Load the registration.
2. Press button #3.
3. Now load a blank(practice) or registration you do not want to keep.
4. Press memory button.
5. Make sure you have check marks in all the boxes that apply.
6. Press memory button and then registration button #1.
7. Load original registration and press button #6.
8. Press Memory button and then Button #3.
9. Load practice registration and press button #1
10. Load original registration and press Memory button followed by button #6

You have now switched #3 with #6.
There are a lot of steps with this as you can see and it is very easy to get lost in the procedure.
I would always use button #1 in the practice registration for the temporary storage location.
You can see by studying the steps that you could conceivably move 4 buttons at a time with this procedure.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)